z

Young Writers Society

Switching Hosts; Site Will Be Down Sept. 10

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:00 pm
Nate says...

Posting this on Squills since it's a fairly major announcement (well, for me at least).

YWS will be down for a good portion of September 10. I am taking the site down so that I can switch hosting providers as Yahoo Small Business stinks. It's actually not bad, but it doesn't allow me to do three things that I'd really like to do:

1. Can't send out a mass PM
2. Can't send out newsletters

And number three...

I recently discovered how to rewrite urls such that you could easily share your portfolio on YWS. For example, instead of:

search.php?
search_id=usertopics&user=2

It would read:

portfolio/Nate/

And for your user profile, it could read:

Nate/

But with the current provider, that isn't possible, but it's something I'd love to do so I'm switching. Just got to make sure whichever one I switch to (probably hostway) does allow that.

So in any case, make plans for a picnic, super soaker battles, or a trip to ye olde theatre on September 10 'cause YWS ain't gonna be here that day.
Last edited by Nate on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:15 pm
Gazza_14 says...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...and I'm back. Maybe i'll check out the *gasp* real world...with its fresh air and sun.
And if it helps the site, then I think we'll all survive one day without YWS. Wont we?
Stop. Look. Jive!

425 Reviews

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:58 pm
Nate says...

I certainly hope so! Of course, I never have to live a day without it! Mwhahahaha! Er...

The other cool thing though is that the same thing that I described above can be done with blogs too, making it easy for you to share your blog with other peeps. So for instance, your blog could be:

blog/Nate/

instead of:

weblogs.php=?24wdhxaj6426u=1212

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:14 pm
Ego says...

Sweet! Personal URLs huh? Sounds fun and stuff :P
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:12 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Bad: YWS goes down for a day.

Good: I get paid that day.

I think I'll have enough positive karma to last.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 pm
David Guinness says...

This is exciting. I hope you get a good rate on the hosting; in any case, we'll do our part to click the ads.

I really look forward to the URL simplification.

Would there be any emailer.php errors with the new host (Will the email limit be greater than it is with Yahoo?)
David Guinness

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:58 am
Elizabeth says...

I hate this constant closing... I don't want to sound rude but before you re-reopened the site you should have thought everything over through all the details... though... I suppose if it comes back shortly I can wait.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 am
deleted6 says...

As long as it comes back i'll be happy. Although this is a great idea.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:58 am
Nate says...

David ->> Yep, no more emailer.php errors, which is good.

Elizabeth wrote:I hate this constant closing... I don't want to sound rude but before you re-reopened the site you should have thought everything over through all the details... though... I suppose if it comes back shortly I can wait.

Elizabeth, sometimes you don't know something's wrong until you've pursued it. I didn't know anything about rewriting urls until a few days ago, and then I discovered the current host doesn't provide for that. I think it'd be a worthwhile enough change to warrant the site being shut down for a day. Anyways, if you're that upset about the site closing for just one day (and probably for only a few hours), then you really need to explore other things to do during the day. You could read a book, ride a bike, chat with friends, frolick in the forest, sing lullabies with the birds.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:33 pm
Swires says...

I recommend dreamhost
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:03 pm
deleted6 says...

It hard for her Nate right now i know she was a bit rude, but in her house their are some troubles. One day Elizabeth, you can manage trust me. If not just try to contact me.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:39 pm
Nate says...

Adam ->> I just checked up on dreamhost, and it looks like it's good for a small site, but since it limits the amount of sql queries performed at any given time, it wouldn't be a good fit for YWS. Some pages do more than 40 queries, and that would cause the site to shut down inadvertently from time to time on dreamhost.

I'll probably go with hostway since they're one of the big three (GoDaddy, Hostway, and Yahoo are the biggies) and reputable. Plus, it doesn't have the drawbacks that GoDaddy and Yahoo have.

Siegfried wrote:It hard for her Nate right now i know she was a bit rude, but in her house their are some troubles. One day Elizabeth, you can manage trust me. If not just try to contact me.

My best to Elizabeth.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:57 pm
Areida says...

I'll just do all the homework I'm sure I'll have been putting off on that day. Sweet. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:27 pm
xanthan gum says...

I have a competition that day, so I guess I won't mind. (eek real life!)
Carpe Diem.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:30 pm
Snoink says...

I'll probably panic about the history project...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Perfection is lots of little things done well.
— Marco Pierre White