Why YWS Was Shutdown

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:28 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I think it'd be a good thing if I explained why YWS was shutdown in May:

MONEY

Short and simple, just money. There were other reasons of course, but it all came down to money. If I could have afforded it, I could have just ignored the site, as I did quite often. I've even left for months from YWS and left it in the hands of Galatea, Jack, and the mod squad. I could've done that, and everything would be fine.

But, the site was costing $55 a month, and ads were covering only $10 of that. I was able to afford that until I got an apartment. But after I got the apartment, I couldn't afford trash bags much less a website.

Fortunately enough, in June I managed to get my finances under control, consolidated my student loans, and got a large raise at work. In July, I sold all of my stock that I had in one company, and made a very decent profit doing so. So by late July, money was no longer an issue and I brought back the site.

After doing some research, I found that only GoDaddy and a few others limit the size of your database. So I found one that didn't, moved YWS to that, and now the site costs are only $8.96 (then $12 by October). Essentially the site costs nothing for me anymore.

SPECULATION FROM THIS POINT ON!

If YWS is shut down again in the future, it'll be because of money. However, because I discovered most hosting providers don't limit your database size, it's very unlikely that the site will shut down. The only way I could see YWS shutting down is if the amount of bandwith I'm alotted each month gets out of hand. Right now, YWS runs through about 30 gigs of bandwith a month when the hosting provider allots me 200 gigs.

Fortunately, if YWS ever reached 200 gigs, one would think that there'd be a similar jump in ad revenue, so I could afford to move the site to it's own dedicated server (which is what I would have to do at a cost of about $100 a month). A dedicated server usually gives you 200 gigs to 500 gigs of bandwith depending on your plan.
Last edited by Nate on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:32 am
View Likes
Areida says...

*is extremely relieved*

I would be heartbroken to see it go (again) so that's good to hear. Glad everything's going well! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:12 am
Galatea says...

I understand financial troubles. I so glad you were able to get the money situation under control. It is certainly a relief.

And thanks! For spending money on us...
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:17 am
View Likes
smaur says...

See, we secretly love your sheer awesomeness and expect that, with your chimptastic telepathic abilities, you can hear our very loud gratitude. Your telepathic abilities seem to be kinda wonky right now (feed it some cookies, maybe?) so: Thank you! You rock beyond description. No, really.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:24 am
View Likes
Cassandra says...

smaur wrote:Your telepathic abilities seem to be kinda wonky right now (feed it some cookies, maybe?)

I have cookies! Chocolate chip! *Hands one to Nate*

Seriously, though. I don't know where I would be without YWS. Probably still on page one of my novel, with thoroughly undeveloped characters and no way to overcome writer's block. It amazes me how much work you put into this site: definitely something I could never do. So thanks, Nate. A lot.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:28 am
View Likes
Skye says...

Amen, Cassandra. This place has helped me grow and expand my writing skills in areas I didn't even know existed! I've made friends and read pieces of literature that I'll remember for a lifetime. So, thank you, Nate, for everything you've done to make this place the best writing site on the web. :)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

You are my hero, Nate. Like people have said before I'd be back in the stone ages if it weren't for this place. So yeah, look into the dictionary next to hero is a picture of you.

Cheesemuffin, Batman?
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:06 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

what was living has died
what was dead was reborn
let's keep it that way.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:52 pm
View Likes
Teeeeo. says...

A second amen to that.

I forogt what I was about to say, so I'll prolly edit this post later :P

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:06 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

I propose that we make a new religion in the name of Nate.

The Church of Nate.
I wrote the above just for you.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 pm
View Likes
David Guinness says...

It's good to know this. Thank you.
David Guinness

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill