z

Young Writers Society

123FlashChat Is Experiencing Technomological Difficulties

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:04 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

The YWS Chatroom is made and hosted by a company based in Shanghai called 123FlashChat. Currently, it's having some technical problems.

Unfortunately, I don't know what's going on, and they're being less than forthcoming. All I know is that earlier today, I received an email from them about a "backup chat." And then when I went to use the YWS chat, all I got was a big white box.

So for the moment, we're using a "backup chat." For the time being, this means that there are no moderators, the normal chatrooms have been replaced by the default chatrooms, and all the modules that usually cost $99 each are apparently enabled.

The people at 123FlashChat have told me that all the previous settings will be transferred over. If this turns out not to be the case and if the backup is really permanent, then I'll go through tomorrow and update everything properly.

In the meantime:

- There are no people with moderating powers for the chatroom currently. This does not mean there are no moderators period. Please follow the chat rules, and please listen to the mods when they speak.

- Yes, you can change your nickname in chat. But please don't! This is one the modules that cost $99 per year (yes, they literally do charge for this simple function). Eventually, they'll get around to removing this module. When they do that, you could be stuck with your name change in chat forever.

Update

I have gone through and changed some of the settings to reduce confusion. Only one chatroom (The Lounge) is now available, and as many of the modules that I could disable have been disabled.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:10 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Technomological

xDD

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:48 am
Love says...

Not supported on my phone ;_;
I was Amareth :)

425 Reviews

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:12 am
Nate says...

Got a response a couple hours ago from 123FlashChat:

We are sorry to inform you that your server host 71690/60 is currently crashing and your service may be disabled due to this problem;

We are digging on it for the reason and will back the service ASAP;

A temporary chat has been sent to you by email just now should you have an urgent need; Your chat will be resumed very soon please take that chat as an expediency;

Any questions, please contact our 24/7 live help customer services. We apologize for this inconvenience again.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:19 am
Iggy says...

Once they fix the bugs and the former chat comes back, will you have to add in mods again?
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

425 Reviews

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 am
Nate says...

I really, really hope not.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 am
darklinkxxxx says...

Here's what I suggest if you're considering more reliable options.

1. Host your own xmpp server.
2. Install this on the web server then replace 123flashchat with an iframe of it. http://candy-chat.github.io/candy/

Meanwhile, I hope you get these issues resolved.
I like signing my posts with pgp. My signature is at http://pastebay.net/1277170.

425 Reviews

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:07 am
Nate says...

Thanks for the link darklink. I'll go ahead and take a look. I've looked at taking the xmpp route in the past, but never found a good application to run on top of it.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:51 am
StellaThomas says...

Poooooor 123FlashChat.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:07 am
Nate says...

According to 123FlashChat, everything is good now, but they still need to power the servers back on. That makes zero sense, but meh. They say it'll be back by tomorrow though.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:18 am
Actawesome says...

Oh no, the one place I actually spend time in! Good luck 123flashchat, get better soon.

425 Reviews

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 pm
Caesar says...

my spaaaaaaaace D:
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)