z

Young Writers Society

Speeding Up YWS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:15 am
Nate says...

Aha! Fixed it, I think. Did a little research, and found how to write the cache for the recent topics block to a specific file. However, that file gets deleted every time someone makes a new post. Then that forces a new cache file to be created.

In any case, what that means is that every now and then, the front page will still take some time to load as the server will be busy writing the new cache. But most of the time, the front page should load in a split second.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:34 pm
David Guinness says...

That's wonderful, Nate. I've tested the front page twice just now. The initial load to the domain took about 10 seconds, and the second time took 6 seconds. Both times the loading was very clean- Although it took a little longer than you'd like, everything appeared on the screen at the same time, instead of each image file loading up separately.

BTW: Individual posts, especially ones from the View Posts Since Last Visit screen, load up lightning fast. :)
David Guinness

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 pm
Nate says...

Some info...

The front page caching has been turned off until I figure out how to make the recent topics list work properly. The method I worked out and described above actually increase load times.

User profiles were another area that took a long time to load, so I went through the code and discovered it was due to the "Who's viewed my profile" addition. Getting rid of that reduces load time from 7 seconds to .2 seconds. If you liked "Who's viewed my profile," it's gone now. I'm not entirely happy with that myself, but I much rather have something load immediately than twiddle my thumbs.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:54 pm
David Guinness says...

Well, perhaps it's a good thing that the profile thing's gone. I don't really want to know if a certain member has viewed my profile 763 times. :D

Hm...Even without the front page caching, it's still loading up much faster than it used to.
David Guinness

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes