z

Young Writers Society

Introducing the Publishing Center and New Submission Form

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:54 am
View Likes
Nate says...

After 8 straight hours of just putting the finishing touches on the new submission form, I'm beat to put it mildly. But, I'm excited to bring you news of the new Publishing Center & all the cool stuff that goes with a new submission form.

First, if you experience any odd problems with the new form, please let me know asap. Don't forget to mention your browser and how you're accessing YWS (e.g., laptop, smartphone) as well!

What is the Publishing Center?

The Publishing Center gives you one-stop access to all your works on YWS. Clicking on the title of a work will allow you to edit it, and you can add new folders to your portfolio from the publishing center as well.

You may notice two sections of the Publishing Center that you're not familiar with: Drafts and Co-authors. Let's discuss further below!

New Submission Form

The new submission form is now using the excellent Redactor.js text editor, which is very powerful. The new text editor is simple to use, lightweight, and allows you to do stuff you never could with the old submission form. On top of that, I've added a number of new features to how literary works are handled on YWS.

What can it do?

Two areas: Editing the work, and editing the options

For any work, both new and old, all the options are accessible only after you've accessed the edit work area. So if you're editing an older work, just click on Save Changes, and you'll then be able to change many of the options, as well as add co-authors or bump it.

Upload documents

Instead of copying and pasting, you can just upload your work and it'll be automatically laid out for you. If you're uploading a poem, remember to check off "preserve whitespace" as that will ensure your formatting stays the same.

Please note that the upload does not work on mobile and so it has been disabled for mobile.

Drafts

You can now save your work as a draft before adding it to the literary database. Saving it as a draft will keep it personal to you, and it does not cost any points to save a work as a draft. So, you can begin working on a poem or short story, save it as a draft, and then return to it later.

Full-screen editor

Is the textarea too small for you when editing your work? Just click the fullscreen icon in the upper right hand corner of the textarea! This will expand it to fill up your entire browser window.

Artwork

You can upload as many images as you like into your work, which means that a new category, Art, has been added to the All Literary area. The Artwork & Photography forum will remain where it is; mostly because converting it to the new literary format would be tremendously difficult and error-prone.

Co-authors

You can now have co-authors! A co-author can edit the text and title of a piece (even when the piece is saved as a draft), although they can't change the other options such as genre and the short description. When you add a co-author, the work will show up in their Publishing Center. Their name will also appear in the byline when people are viewing the work.

Bumping

If you've made a big update to your work, you no longer need to resubmit it. Instead, you can just bump it! Bumping costs 200 points, which is only a little less than the cost of a new literary work.

Overall

This is a huge update and a radical overhaul to the submission form. You can now bump old works, add co-authors, and manage drafts. You can upload documents, add images, and the new editor is very easy to work with. I hope you enjoy it!

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 pm
Demeter says...

Wow, sounds great! Thanks Nate!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:39 pm
Lauren2010 says...

This is so cool!
Got YWS?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 pm
LadySpark says...

favorite thing about this update? The co-author part. Absolutely awesome!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Skydreamer says...

It's so cool! My favorite thing is the editing. It's so great to have all the works there to edit like that. And the saving!
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

I'm going to like the uploading. No more copy + paste and hope it works out!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 pm
StoneHeart says...

Nice. >> Opposite of Hannah for me.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:11 pm
Meshugenah says...

Co-authors!!!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 pm
Auxiira says...

Uploading! No more formatting stuff!
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:26 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

Wooo! Finally an art section! And co-authors and precious, precious formatting <3

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan