z

Young Writers Society

Help me create a better submisison form

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 am
View Likes
Nate says...

So I'm putting together a new submission form, and I think I have the main parts of it done. But, I could really use some help troubleshooting it. So, if you have some time, please head here:

Test Upload Form

And throw what you can at it. Does it support Japanese text? Does it preserve lines and whitespace? Does it do what you expect it to do?

Here's what it's supposed to do:

As with the current submission form, you can copy and paste a work into it. With this, though, you can upload almost any document (the lone exception that I've found so far is .pdf). In order to prevent odd things from happening, a lot of the style data is removed from the document, although things like bold and italics should stay.

In addition, you can upload images! When you do this, you can't position images anywhere you want on the page, but you can resize them. You can also wrap text around the images by clicking on the image and changing the alignment of it.

After you're done playing with it, let me know what you thought.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:12 am
View Likes
EnigmaticSpirit says...

Just gave it a quick test. I think it's fantastic. Everything is working: it supports Japanese writing and letters with accents.

test 1.png

Testing Japanese Hiragana and letters with accents.

test 2.png

Uploading a Word document...

test 3.png

The upload works!

I love it, when can we start using it?
Words cut deeper than knives.

425 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks @TheGoonerGirl for putting it through the paces!

Assuming no problems, then the new form will go live in about 24 to 48 hours. If there are problems, then it could be a few more days depending on how bad they are. But, I'd like to have it operational by next Monday at the absolute latest.

425 Reviews

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:26 am
EnigmaticSpirit says...

Cor, that looks chuffing brilliant!!!
Words cut deeper than knives.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 am
crossroads says...

You might wish to know, on iPad, it only lets me upload pictures, not any other kinds of documents. Not that copy/pasting is hard at all, but I figured to let you know anyway ^^

It looks brilliant, though.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 am
Juniper says...

Nate, this looks amazing. I've been poking around at it and everything looks great. I know that some people spend a lot of time formatting their work (and those that are like me procrastinate clicking the final submit button as long as possible), so is it possible to add a dialog box that confirms you want to leave the page if you click away from it before submitting?
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

425 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 am
View Likes
Nate says...

After much trial and error, the new submission form finally passes the e.e. cummings test:
Capture.JPG

Just make sure to either check the "Preserve whitespace" box when uploading a poem with a lot of whitespace, or to otherwise follow the directions below the text box.

Aria ->> I'll go ahead and look into that. Thanks for the heads up!

Juniper ->> Sounds like a good idea. I'll go ahead and add that in.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 am
Love says...

Doesn't seem to upload .doc files... ^_^ Although looks cool :3
I was Amareth :)

425 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm
Nate says...

Letiki ->> It uploads .doc files fine. But so that I can troubleshoot the problem you're having, could you include more information?

425 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:58 pm
Nate says...

Just tested it on iPad, and I found out that the problem is that the iPad doesn't let you upload files because it lacks a file system. So I'll just have to disable the Upload box when using it on iPad.

On Android it seems to work as long as you have a file manager installed. But seeing as how the vast majority of people don't, I'll disable it on Android as well.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:06 pm
elysian says...

This is great!!! I love this <3
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

425 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Thank you to everyone who has tested it out so far. A few problems were found, but nothing major.

So, I'm going to be taking the test form down for now while I add to it and make into a proper submission form. Expect for it to go live either tonight US EST or tomorrow night.

425 Reviews

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 am
Nate says...

So unfortunately, our CDN provider - Cloudflare - went kaput just as soon as I was going to work on making the submission form live.

Thus, it'll be about another 24 hours, and then the new submission form will go into effect.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 pm
Love says...

Oh hi... I have used android and, after finding a random .doc file on my system to upload, for some obscure reason it did not work (and yes, I do have a file browser). Speaking of android, is it truly necessary to disable the file submission for mobile? I mean, it do be your decision, but it's removing functionality that many may find useful.

Sorry... ^-^
I was Amareth :)

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy