z

Young Writers Society

New Statistics Page

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 am
View Likes
Nate says...

If you go to the front page, you may notice two things. First, the "Popular" link is gone. Second, there's a link to something called "Statistics."

On the first, the "popular" link was removed because it wasn't popular enough. On average, only 3 people clicked on it any given day. That's abysmal for a link on the front page.

Now, onto the second...

Statistics!

For a long time, YWS has had an hidden statistics page. It was kept hidden for a few reasons. First, YWS used to not have enough processing power to even run the site, much less a statistics page. Generating statistics is a heavy computing task, so if enough people accessed the page at one time, the site would crash. Second, there were a number of bugs with it that I mentally corrected but could lead to misunderstandings. Third, I didn't have the time to properly format it for mass-consumption.

All three items have now been solved. YWS has plenty of processing power these days thanks to a pro-gratis upgrade of the server by the hosting provider, Linode. That left only the bugs and the formatting, which were both just a matter of me sitting down for a few hours one day and fixing that.

Well, I sat down for a few hours today.

For the most part, the statistics page should be pretty self-explanatory once you visit it and explore it a bit. Everything goes by the time on the server, which is New York time, and the stats page is separated into six sections: the Snapshot page, Reviews, Works, Forums, Storybooks, and Members. The last 5 are done using purdy graphs.

What I'm hoping for is that members will feel a bit of a deeper connection with YWS. I know that sounds corny, but I also know personally that when a site shares its stats, I tend to visit it more often.

Eventually, I'd also like to hook up the Google analytics data to share pageview and visitor numbers as well. But, that takes considerably more time to set up. In the meantime, please enjoy the YWS stats!

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 pm
StoneHeart says...

This is awesome!

:)
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria