z

Young Writers Society

Free Bookmarks

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

This is my gift to all of you: free YWS bookmarks! And please take advantage of it!

Due to shipping costs, it's not something I can offer forever. But I'll keep it up for about a week.

To get your gift, please click on "Free bookmark" in the user bar up top.

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:07 pm
StoneHeart says...

* Looks for button.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 am
View Likes
Omni says...

You are the best and most awesomeness person ever, Nate. If I ever get any money online, it's going straight here.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

425 Reviews

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Haha, thanks Aquestioning :)

Everyone ->> If you live in the USA, then I just put your bookmark in the mail. For those outside the USA, I have to stop by the post office tomorrow and pick up more stamps, but yours will be in the mail tomorrow. So those who have requested a bookmark prior to the time of this post should have it within a week.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 am
Shady says...

Yay! 8D

Thanks!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:06 am
View Likes
noninjaes says...

Mine's on order, but the American postal system is weird. Do you really just put any mail you want to send to anybody in your own mailbox? We have to take our mail to a post box or the post office to send it.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

425 Reviews

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:34 am
View Likes
Nate says...

noninjaspresent wrote:Mine's on order, but the American postal system is weird. Do you really just put any mail you want to send to anybody in your own mailbox? We have to take our mail to a post box or the post office to send it.

In this case, I dropped it off at the post office, but I could've just dropped it in my own mailbox.

Personally, I always have the utmost difficulty with foreign addresses. To me, American addresses are so nicely organized (Australian too), and they almost always fit neatly on the Avery address labels. But with a lot of foreign addresses (UK in particular!), there's so many regions and sub-regions and weird postal codes! I just take a guess at how it's supposed to be organized on the label and hope that the postal service can make sense of it.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:41 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

That is odd, putting local mail into your mailbox, but I have seen it before. Mostly in movies, and I'm pretty sure we used to do that in Australia several decades ago. o.O

Anyways. Two weeks, give or take. I excited about this bookmark <3
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

425 Reviews

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:12 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Heh, it's weird for me to think that you can't just drop off mail in your own mailbox. For me, it'd mean that instead of having my Netflix DVD sitting around and gathering dust for three months, I'd probably have it indefinitely! Which reminds me, I need to watch it and return it...

Anyhoot, if you requested a bookmark prior to 4am UTC April 4, then it's in the mail. In all, 80 envelopes were set. Today, there's already been an additional 20, and I'll get those in the mail tomorrow.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Are UK addresses really that weird? I'm going to have to go look up some American addresses now... They just go in increasing size of area (and then the postcode).

(House Name)
12 Road Name
Town
County
United Kingdom
PO5 7CD

Though to be honest, you could probably just put down number, country and postcode and it would get there. The post code describes a unique area of the country (usually a specific street), and the house number identifies the houses within that area.

(Incidentally, it's really hard to write something that resembles "postcode" in postcode format...)
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

425 Reviews

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:38 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I think it's the names of towns in the UK that get me. "Ashton-under-Lyne," "Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge," "Queenborough-in-Sheppey," etc. They seem so unnecessarily descriptive! Plus, I like American postal codes: it's always just 5 digits.

Anyhoot, if you requested bookmarks prior to 10 p.m. GMT April 4, they're in the mail. Some people in the US should start receiving them tomorrow, with most getting them either on Saturday or Monday. Outside the US, it'll take a week to two weeks.

And here's a sampling of the letters that went out:
IMG_20130404_200126.jpg

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am
Lava says...

But American addresses are weirdly very very short.
And I'm all like haow? You're such a huge country; your address should be much longer than that.

And I always thought putting your own mail to send in your own postbox was a movies/Sims thing. To send things, I should head to the post office which has a large post boxes based on local/domestic/international addressess.

P.S. I like the stamp.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 am
100xstupid says...

Just how much does shipping it to the UK cost?

Can I reimburse you if I get one? I really want one but I'd feel bad asking you to send it all the way here for free.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
-Socrates

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am
View Likes
noninjaes says...

Donating to YWS (see link at bottom of YWS) is a way to help reimburse Nate. Even a dollar can help pay for shipping and such.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 am
Auxiira says...

I love you Nate! Ordered mine and once I get my allowance, I'll donate! I won't ask you to send it to France for nothing^^ French addresses aren't weird:
Number, street
postcode
Town/city
Region (if foreign mail)
France.

Not weird at all

And we have yellow post boxes, like pillar postboxes, with one slot for post for the region and the other one for any other post. It's very organised.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

something I have been thinking about ever since I saw the Super Mario Bros movie is how once I took a "what Nintendo character are you" quiz and I got Waluigi.
— Elinor