z

Young Writers Society

Interesting Country and State Stats

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:59 am
Nate says...

I installed Google Analytics just a couple days and already the data is really interesting, so I thought I'd provide everyone with the country data.

Of course, the United States has the most with 65% of YWS users hailing from there, but that's a lot less than most other sites. After that, it's the United Kingdom with 14%, then Canada with 10%. In fact, there is not a single country listed in the data that was not a British colony at some point. Here's a quick breakdown:

United States 65%
United Kingdom 14%
Canada 10%
Australia 2%
Guam 2%
India 1.5%
New Zealand 1%
Pakistan 1%
South Africa 1%
Ireland 1%

Of course, Guam was never a British colony, but it is an American territory, so it benefits from the British legacy as well.

Now, of the above, the most active users hail from India, and they hail from, mostly, New Delhi and Pune. After that, the most active users hail from Canada. The least active hail from New Zealand.

Since the United States is the largest English speaking country in the world, it makes sense that most of YWS users hail from there, so a state by state breakdown is useful. Surprisingly enough, Pennsylvania ranks number one, and even my home state of Maryland comes in at 8 (I've filtered out all my visits from the data so that does not take into account my activity). Here's the breakdown for just the US:

Pennsylvania 18%
Texas 15.5%
California 12%
Nebraska 6%
Michigan 5%
New Hampshire 5%
Maryland 4%
Illinois 4%
Indiana 4%

All in all, I think it's pretty interesting and cool that YWS is a fairly international site.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:44 pm
Prosithion says...

well, It seems like there are a lot of Brits here. That just may be that most of my friends here are British.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

425 Reviews

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:15 pm
Nate says...

Prosithion wrote:well, It seems like there are a lot of Brits here. That just may be that most of my friends here are British.

I agree with that; I even remember back when the majority of the active users on the site were from either England or Scotland. I think the reason for the discrepancy is just that the data above is only including data over the past two days.

214 Reviews

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:24 pm
Prosithion says...

ah... well, also, aren't proboards and phpbb british servers?

425 Reviews

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:29 pm
Nate says...

Prosithion wrote:ah... well, also, aren't proboards and phpbb british servers?

I don't know about that, but it doesn't matter in any case. The data is collected by a Google program I installed on the site. For the country data, it simply looks at the first digits of your IP address to determine which country you come from.

214 Reviews

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:40 pm
Prosithion says...

ah... cool.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:15 pm
Wiggy says...

That's pretty sweet! But you forgot MO! That's me! lol I don't think I've met anyone else from MO on here. Any contenders?
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:22 pm
David Guinness says...

Cool stats. I'll have to look into that program for my site...not that I have enough hits to matter. :D
Last edited by David Guinness on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Guinness

214 Reviews

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:42 pm
Prosithion says...

seems like an interesting site, but my site is so dead, it wont matter if I put stats on or not.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:30 am
Rei says...

Wow, didn't realize there were so many of us. I'm probably the main reason Canada has been the most actove country in the last few days.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:45 am
Areida says...

Hecks yeah, Texas OWNS! *boogies*

That's pretty cool, Nate. :mrgreen:
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:10 am
Snoink says...

Haha! Go California!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou