Young Writers Society

Welcome to the Grand Re-opening of YWS

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Guys, it is your money, if you don't want to buy it, then don't. It's as simple as that.

I understand your...eh...eh..."reasoning" (Geddit?), but Nate is just trying to re-introduce things that used to be here to give a fresh, new "re-opening" to YWS. This is a time of happiness, so be happy!

As being a noob-y computer programmer myself, I understand that with each new thing that you introduce to a website, especially one as big as this, there will be reprocussions. That means that there will always be bugs in the site, and I'm sure that Nate is trying to balance this out as fast as he can, but you are not helping by raining on this parade, for lack of a better term.

Nate has been gone for about a week or so. As the creator of the website, that will make his workload pile up extremely quickly. He has a life outside of YWS, and he'll get to it as soon as he can. So, just sit back and enjoy it for now. The bugs will be fixed soon, and as Nate is the only one fixing them, be patient.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Rea: In which case I'll explain that you aren't paying for a pro account. You're donating and receiving a pro account for your coolness. They're not really a service, you get a badge and have the ability to get rid of the ads if you want? He's not selling it, he's gifting it in return, as a small thank you.

I dig your concerns, I'm sure Nate will get to them as soon as he's able.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Reason & Kyllorac ->> If you're unhappy with the free service provided by YWS, then you are welcome to go elsewhere. I don't get paid to run YWS, and the money YWS earns from advertising goes right back into hosting costs.

All a pro account does is turn off advertising. If you don't want to pay for that, that's cool. I understand; particularly if you're unhappy with the service I am providing you by running this website for you.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm
DiskElemental says...

If you really don't like adds, then just get Add Block Plus...
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

DiskElemental wrote:If you really don't like adds, then just get Add Block Plus...

If everyone ran ad-block plus, it'd destroy the Internet. All the sites you love would be forced to become paid only. Like it or not, but the reason most of the sites you visit are free is due to advertising.

Personally, I use ad-block plus because I think a lot of sites go overboard with ads. But I turn it off for websites I like and enjoy.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

The service of YWS is free and pro accounts are simply an option for members to help support the community through a donation. YWS isn't a product and Nate's not trying to sell it as such.

What we're looking for with the press release is the same thing as always - we're aiming to reach as many like minded individuals as we can and share this wonderful experience with them.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:11 pm
DiskElemental says...

Nate wrote:Personally, I use ad-block plus because I think a lot of sites go overboard with ads. But I turn it off for websites I like and enjoy.

I'll turn it off when companies stop reading my email, and raiding my history in an attempt to sell me something.
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:14 pm
reason says...

Peng: By utilizing your explanation, it makes the alternative option -donations superfluous. What's the point of it in the first place then? Furthermore, I do recall there's levels to the Pro-account both in how long the benefit of being ad-free lasts along with the badge "levels."

Aquest: This is true. It's a choice to spend money, but when there's an option to exchange money -there's also the option to complain what you're being offered in return for the money: regardless if you have intent to spend said money or not.

I have been patient. Understand, I knew previously he was gone for a week or two. Then I see he's active again -and nothing has been said about the bugs. A quick post going, "I'm busy at the moment, but I'll get to it as soon as I can! Sorry for any inconveniences -please do be patient" for example would have taken only moments to compose and would assure me that it will be looked into. Rather than having Cadi state he's gone, waiting as the silence culminates only to hear: grand re-opening, news release, and . . . still no news on the bugs.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I am voicing my concerns. Typically, I tell a mod who then tells Nate -in light of what I explained in the previous paragraph and posts, I felt the need to voice it publicly in the desire of getting an immediate response rather than waiting for a mod to get to me.

As I did with the FAQ, I noticed how outdated and messy the FAQ is for newbies. I told a mod. The mod told Nate. Nate, a day later -that's pretty awesome, gave the mod a sweet looking FAQ (phbb) which the mod gave to me. I was happy until I looked to find it . . . nowhere. Newbies could benefit from it, but oh well. I dropped it.

Nate: These are concerns. I appreciate the site and therefore am taking time to do this. You already have heard from me via mods on multiple occasions. These concerns are stated not out of malicious intent. Lean communication can create a lot of misunderstandings.

So if you would like to, I can PM you my phone number to clarify any misunderstandings. If not, I understand, but I want to make it clear: I have no malicious intent and will put my actual voice and name to it.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:22 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

If banks weren't so annoying with needing a hundred different documents (my mother changed the spelling her of her first name in the early 90's) to open one for a minor, I would totally love to donate. *Envies bank account holders of minors*

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Reason, all a pro-account does is give you the option to turn off advertising. That's it. So the product being offered here in exchange for money is not a service, but rather an advertising option. You get the same YWS whether you choose to turn off advertising or not. In fact, as Disk pointed out, it's equivalent to surfing YWS with an ad-blocker on.

I understand your complaints, and I sympathize with them. There are a lot of bugs on YWS, and I've put in a lot of sleepless nights recently in fixing them. But let's be honest; YWS is a homebrew project. It's not a professional site, and I've long ago given up any hope of turning it into a professional site. There's always been bugs, and there's always been half-finished parts of the site. But I can assure you that I will continue to maintain this site, and gradually keep making it better.

Unfortunately, though, I have bills to be paid. For the first two weeks of March, I was in Tanzania. That meant that when I got back, I had a boat-load of work to do. When you have a job that requires your physical presence, the work just doesn't disappear when you take a vacation. It piles up. And like it or not, that work does take precedence over YWS. Otherwise, I'd be homeless.

In any case, I definitely understand when people wish YWS were more professionally run. But, that's just not going to happen; there are practical realities keeping that from happening. If you're unhappy with the way YWS is run, then just start your own site or join another site. The Internet is the ultimate free-market economy after all.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 pm
View Likes
reason says...

Penguin has explained this to me. I would call experiencing YWS without the ads as a service -deviantArt does the same -as in ad-free- with the variation of instead of being rewarded a badge, you can customize your profile and I do believe you can search for more works on a single page. That was eight years ago, I'm sure they've added more benefits since then. All the examples I have are outdated, I remember before Pandora had a limit -I was the first to receive a notice that summer of 2010 or 2011 since I listened to over sixty hours a week. The pro-accounts were back then strictly ad-free. I'm stipulating that "advertising option" is nothing more than a service. Yes, one can get an ad-blocker -there's always alternative methods to avoid paying for a service.

I get it. I'm not denying that you've put many hours and lost sleep over YWS. I am stating that if this is not a professional site then why offer pro-accounts in the first place? A pro-account sounds a lot like a membership fee which does denote some professionalism.

I am not stating that YWS should take precedence over your work and real life, but all my posts have been asking for a professional dialogue in light of the re-introduction of pro-accounts. That's what compelled my first post -the need to have this: dialogue. I would also like to note that previous to this, I've always taken my concerns to mods who then relayed it to you.

I don't know how I feel about being told to leave YWS if I'm unhappy. That's quite strange to hear from the creator. I reiterate, I am merely stating my concerns because I do like YWS. Granted, I will take your suggestion under advisement. If the owner of a site brings up the option to leave, I should probably wonder why that is.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 pm
Kale says...

Reason & Kyllorac ->> If you're unhappy with the free service provided by YWS, then you are welcome to go elsewhere.

I never said any such thing, and I'd ask you to kindly refrain from assuming my feelings on any matter.

With that said, I would like to echo reason's feelings on this:

I don't know how I feel about being told to leave YWS if I'm unhappy. That's quite strange to hear from the creator. I reiterate, I am merely stating my concerns because I do like YWS. Granted, I will take your suggestion under advisement. If the owner of a site brings up the option to leave, I should probably wonder why that is.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

reason wrote: I'm stipulating that "advertising option" is nothing more than a service. Yes, one can get an ad-blocker -there's always alternative methods to avoid paying for a service.

You're not paying for a service. You're paying because YWS is awesome! Running a website is expensive. Why should Nate have to maintain the site by himself *and* pay for it? This is just an optional way to relieve some of the financial burden off of Nate.

Don't look as the no-adds as a service, but as a gift. His 'thank you card' for donating. I think you complaining about it is ridiculous-- that's like "Okay mom, I know you work really hard to do nice things for me, so I'm going to buy you a bottle of lavender lotion...WHAT KIND OF THANK YOU CARD IS THAT? You didn't even bother to buy me card? You made it by hand?"

He could give you nothing.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

425 Reviews

"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore