z

Young Writers Society

A glimpse at some upcoming features

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:59 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Now that all the features of YWS: Apollo are more or less in place, I'm going to start moving on to a bunch of other stuff. So that people aren't caught unawares, here are some glimpses at what's coming:

First: Bug Fixes

Blank notification problem, see posts, portfolios, etc.

Second: Revamped Submission Process

The current three-step submission process will be replaced with a two-step submission process.

The first step will involve selecting which folder of your portfolio you'd like to put your work in. The second step is the submission of the actual work and setting various options (such as genre).

This should help with making the whole process more intuitive and with simplifying it greatly.

Third: Portfolio folder pages

At its most basic, each folder page will just list the table of contents for that folder. But, you'll also be able to upload cover art if you so choose, along with attaching any type of document to it. For example, if your folder is for your novel, you could attach an outline to your folder page.

Additionally, users will be able to subscribe to your work on a per-folder basis. Thus, they'll get notified anytime you add something to it.

Fourth: Literary Showcase

This is just another name for featured works. What I'll probably do is make the Literary section a lot like the homepage. Except instead of listing an announcement, leaderboard summary, and featured member, it'll show the top literary works. I'm hoping this will lead to more attention for the best works on YWS.

Fifth: Review Recommendations

My goal is to boost the average number of reviewers per day up to 50 (it's about 30 now). To get there, I'll be implementing a quid pro quo system (the review pusher engine I mentioned previously).

Basically, if you just posted something and you then go to review someone else's work, the author of that work will receive a notification asking them to review your work. This way, recent posters have a very strong incentive to review.

Sixth: Changes to storybooks

These are just very minor changes, and would be designed to help navigating storybooks a little easier.

For example, wouldn't it be nice if the discussion topic for a storybook was easily linked to in the sidebar area? And wouldn't it be nice to create character profiles?

Of course, since I don't visit the storybooks section often, I'll be sure to first get the advice of others before doing anything.

All in all

The above doesn't cover everything, and it could be months before I get around to every single one of them. So the above is just a glimpse at what's coming up.

At this point, still not taking feature requests, but if you would like to comment on any of the above, please feel free to.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 pm
crossroads says...

Oh, now that sounds awesome. I was about to say "I particularly like..." but actually I love every idea from the list ^^
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Ohmigosh Nate! These are SUPER awwwwwweeesome! I'm so excited to see the new literary showcase and submission process!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

The changes to Storybooks sound AWESOME. But also very mysterious.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 pm
wordsandwishes says...

*likes topic* ^u^

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson