Announcing the addition of Clubs

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Clubs are back!

What are clubs?

Clubs are essentially mini-websites on YWS. You can create a club on any topic of your choosing. You could create one for your novel, your favorite band, or just for fun.

Each club has two main sections: the wall and the forum. The wall is just like the wall on your profile, and the forum is like a mini message board. Additionally, users can subscribe to clubs. When you subscribe to a club, you'll get a notification whenever a new post or new comment is made.

How do I create a club?

To create a club, go to the Settings area and then look for the Clubs tab. From there, you can see a list of all the clubs you belong to, the clubs you administrate, the clubs you moderate, and a link to create a club.

Administrate? Moderate?

The author and admins of a club can add more admins, and add officers. An author/admin can edit the club through the Settings tab, including banning users from accessing the club if need be. Additionally, they can change the banner image, approve subscription requests (if the club is set to request only or hidden), and edit the club's about page.

Officers are able to moderate clubs, meaning they can delete comments / posts. They can't edit the club though.

If I create a club, how can I get people to join?

Running a club is a lot like running a website. If you want people to join, you have to do some advertising. You also have to make sure there's always some activity.

To advertise, you can make a comment about it on your wall or create a topic in The Lounge. Once you get people joining the club, you can post announcements on your club's wall. Each announcement shows up in the People tab. Your subscribers will also get notifications each time a new comment or post is made.

The key is just to make sure you keep updating your club with new topics.

Anything else?

Go join a club!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:32 am
Snoink says...

You are my hero!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Squills is also a wonderful way to gain attention for your club. Simply PM AlfredSymon with your shameless plug.

Nate: you continue to be awesome. :smt007
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Forgot to mention a little info about clubs that require approval of subscriptions!

Request only vs hidden

Clubs that are set to request only are viewable by everyone, but only approved subscribers can comment. Hidden clubs, though, are just that: hidden. For approved subscribers, the club will show up in their my clubs area, but it won't be included in the main index.

Regarding requests to join a club, when the creator of the club or an admin for the club approve a request, a PM from the Big Brother account is automatically sent. However, when a request is denied, nothing gets sent.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm
Karzkin says...

A tool for searching the clubs section for a specific (non-hidden obviously) club would be super awesome.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Good point Karzkin. I'll add in a search probably next week.

I think I also need to go through and prune the clubs. There's a lot of them that don't have any comments or posts.

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart