z

Young Writers Society

YWS is now hosted by Linode

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 am
View Likes
Nate says...

After experiencing consistent server disruptions on VPS.net, YWS has switched to Linode.

The problem with VPS.net appears to have been a disk problem. There could have been a damaged hard disk, or maybe even just a loose cable. But whatever the reason for the disk problem, it was leading to a very, very high CPU load on the server.

Now, VPS.net and Linode offer essentially the same service: they're both virtual private server providers. But the similarity stops there. Linode offers a better product and better maintenance.

I've already run a couple of stress tests that used to bring YWS down. One is the calculation of the all-time leaderboards, and the other was a backup of the database without any options. In both cases, the CPU load on the Linode server never even came close to the CPU load at the slowest times of day on the VPS.net server. It's like upgrading from a Pinto to a Lexus. Technically, both will get you to your destination, but one will offer a much smoother ride over the other.

A caveat though! In switching to a new server, there are bound to be some hiccups. But in looking at the data right now, all I can say is: Wow. It's like the site isn't even running (the load is literally 0.00).

Also, WriterFeedPad continues to be hosted on VPS.net. It's in a different cloud from what YWS was in, and there's been no service disruptions in that cloud. So for the time being, it'll continue to be hosted by VPS.net.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

Thank you so much, Nate!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:20 pm
Alteran says...

You're awesome! Thanks for facing the technological beast of burden for us. :D
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:25 pm
Aley says...

We love you Nate!

Thank you for taking care of us so well.
-more rabid fangirl squeals-

425 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

You're welcome!

Just did a server reset to finish some configuration stuff regarding the database. Specifically, I set up a better temp directory for the database to use that'll help improve performance during peak times.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 am
Stori says...

Good show, Nate. Now be sure to get yourself some downtime. :)

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 am
Payne says...

I think Nate is quite possibly the best site-admin ever.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

425 Reviews

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 am
View Likes
Nate says...

It looks like there's a problem with a lot of avatars. This happened once before with a server move. I don't know exactly why it happens, but I'm looking into the problem. Last time around, what ended up happening is that those with a missing avatar had to re-upload it. Trying to avoid that this time around.

Nevermind. Somehow, the problem resolved itself.

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro