Young Writers Society

New chatroom

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Edited on January 8

Yet again, we're changing chat rooms. The issue is one of server performance. The flashchat is a resource hog, and it can be a huge drain on the site when there's more than 10 people in chat.

So, we're switching to phpfreechat, which is one of the alternatives that has been brought up repeatedly in the past few years. The biggest plus is that it doesn't use the database at all. Everything is handled in the filesystem. That should keep it from draining server resources.

Sorry for all the changes with no warning. We would've stuck with chatroll, but they got rid of the hosting plan we were using. And we would've stuck with the flashchat, but it caused the server to crash every few hours.

Hopefully, this will be the last change. It's taking up way too much of my own time.

Old post is below

This was not planned in any way, but we now have a new chatroom. Older members will recall it with fond memories.

Our previous chatroom was hosted by Chatroll. YWS was subscribed to it on a monthly basis, and that subscription was due for renewal yesterday. Our subscription plan was for 50 users at a cost of $9.99 per month. That plan, though, is no longer available. Instead, the cheapest offering was for 100 users at $19.99 per month. Personally, I think that price for what you get is outrageous.

So, we are now currently using the old, old chatroom. It's also free, which is a bonus. However, it's also hosted on the YWS server. Last time around, it would slow down the site whenever there were 20+ users in it. Nowadays, we're using a more powerful server, so hopefully that won't happen. Keep your fingers crossed though!

At any rate, it does have a ton more features. You can change fonts, backgrounds, sounds, etc. Basically, everything is configurable. And since it's hosted on YWS, I have complete control over it. This means that when there's a bug with it, I can actually fix it.

So, enjoy!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I thought I should point out that I can't access old old chat on my iPad, probably due to Apple's hatred of Flash. Although it could be my own fault. If so, sorry! I've tried on both Safari and Chrome. It doesn't affect me personally much as I don't really use the iPad for chat, but just thought I should alert you in case you didn't know this!

Other than that, I love old old chat! So nostalgic.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I have missed this. Lots. And hopefully it will be better behaved.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

That's why you buy Android, Stella :)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm
Caesar says...

It doesn't work on iPod either. :'(

Other than that it's great, I love it xD
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 pm
View Likes
deleted15 says...

Hard to tell who is who without the profile pictures next to the names. :'(
Dec 18 2012, 7:43 PM
AmelieoftheValley: ...Aet and Bog sometimes sound like a comedy duo.

Dec 18 2012, 7:43 PM
AmelieoftheValley: Just pointing it out.

The neap tide draws.
The Kellerok nears.
Caterjunes.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Same problem here as with the other Apple gadgets.. Flash. I won't be chatting anymore :(
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:44 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Chat hates Firefox, for the record. PMs don't work, and changes to settings don't stick. *twitches at sounds*

All seems to be working fine now after an incident of undefined-ness. Yay!
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 am
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

Hmm, it might not bump the site off but I can't type anything while somenone else is typing/posting. I'm guessing this is b/c my computer is pretty slow... but it keeps stalling and throwing me off.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Well, I think the flashchat is going to go. The site's been crashing a lot more often ever since it was installed, and it does use a lot of memory.

532 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 532
Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 pm
GeeLyria says...

Yeah. I've been thinking that it is heavy, indeed. It often crashes my computer.
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 am
Nate says...

Updating original post with info concerning why we switched chatrooms yet again.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:24 pm
crossroads says...

Made my day ^_^

Now I can like this topic xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman