z

Young Writers Society

In Development: Choose Your Own Adventure on YWS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:20 am
Nate says...

Posting this since it's going to be the most difficult coding project I've ever done, and I need a place where I can keep notes. But also, I want to gauge interest on this; that is, if there's little or no interest, I'll stop development. But if there's a lot of interest, that'll spur me on.

DESCRIPTION: I think everyone knows what a choose your own adventure story is, and I would like to add a section to YWS for this. Members will be able to create a new one, or add on to an existing one.

I've looked and looked for an existing program that does what I want, but it's either too complicated or too simple, and none are integrated with phpBB. So that means I'm going to do it on my own.

I have a couple ideas of how to go about this, and I'll keep people posted on how I do. Right now though, I just want to know if people are interested in this.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:26 am
Areida says...

*le gasp*

COOL!

What kind of adventures would they be? Would these be YWS-based adventures, featuring the members, or would they be pirates and stuff?

Well, I guess if the members are making them we'll have all kinds of craziness. Fun stuff! Sounds good, Nate. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

425 Reviews

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:39 am
Nate says...

Like you said, it'll be all kinds of craziness :P

However, even though I have an idea of how to do this, it's going to take a long time, if I even complete it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 am
Doctor Kitty says...

I have no idea what this is.

XD

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:31 am
Swires says...

No neither do I, is it like forum based RPG? or somethign else?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 am
deleted6 says...

Neither do i understand Nate please explain.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:16 am
Emma says...

Sounds pretty good anyway. :]

425 Reviews

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:40 pm
Nate says...

I guess the Choose Your Own Adventure Stories are a bit past everyone's time? That's kinda weird 'cause they were just as popular as Goosebumps when I was in elementary school. Or maybe it's just an American thing?

Anyways, a Chooe Your Own Adventure story starts out with a scene, something like "You are walking down the street when all of a sudden a great wizard descends from the sky and asks you to join the fight against the Gongoloids from Planet XP-7. What do you do next?"

You're then offered a variety of choices like:
- Go with the wizard
- Tell the wizard to mind his own business
- Hit the wizard

The story then goes like that where you decide what happens next.

In an online version, the users write as it goes along. For a crude example of what I'm doing, go here:

story.pl

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:50 pm
Firestarter says...

They had something like this on writing.com, didn't they?

Anyway, I think it's really great for it to be a group of people writing it and adding onto it.

Just for the record, I know what a "Choose Your IWn Adventure" is, although I didn't really read that many of them.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:14 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Sounds awesome! :D
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:20 pm
mystical*dragons says...

I think the idea's great. I've read books like that...you know they give you a start to the story and then they tell you to go on different page numbers like 80, 90 and 100 and then they have different stories ahead...well I suppose you get the point.

So I think it'll be really cool! :D
....and so they lived happily ever after

moral: the faerie lies

Random avatar

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:25 pm
deleted6 says...

Oh no i understand like Fighting Fantasy?
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

425 Reviews

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm
Nate says...

Siegfried wrote:Oh no i understand like Fighting Fantasy?

lol, now it's my turn; I don't know what Fighting Fantasy is ;)

By the way, people can feel free to add to the sample story. The link to it again is:

story.pl

It may end up being the only one...

Random avatar

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 pm
deleted6 says...

lol Fighting Fantasy were books where you had a hero with certain amount of health ect and you could die in them. So oyu had to make the right choices.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:49 pm
Sureal says...

Hah, this is so cool.

Although, we're going to see different people's writing styles in this. My entry reads differently to Nate's - I couldn't help making my one a bit darker. It'll be cool to see this play out.

Can we start our own ones too?
I wrote the above just for you.

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter