Young Writers Society

Browsing Literary Works: Thoughts?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I forgot to mention! Ratings. It would be good to have a rating system again (E, 12+, 16+, 18+).
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

A thought/question! Would this be an actual forum format, or just more similar to a forum than the section is currently? Because, if going back to a forum format makes it easier to handle a search function and get that implemented, my vote would swing way far back to the forum side.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue May 29, 2012 8:21 pm
Sins says...

I like the new design overall, but I agree with what ghostie said about the literary works boxes needing to be distinguished a little better. It's niggling at my OCD right now because the down columns kind of look like they blend into one, and so they look a bit messy. The grey vertical lines that separate the two columns work well, but I think doing something as simple as also separating each literary work with a horizontal line would be beneficial. Like I've done below:

Spoiler! :
It's really small for some reason but if you click on the image, you should be able to see it larger... I hope you can anyway. I can. x3

new.jpg

It's only a tiny difference, but I think it looks a lot tidier, you know?

EDIT:
if going back to a forum format makes it easier to handle a search function and get that implemented, my vote would swing way far back to the forum side.

I agree. A good search function can really be a life saver.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 pm
noninjaes says...

As I've already said, I definitely would like a search function again. My suggestion on how to run it without going back to a forum format - have 'tags' automatically added to the work depending on the settings that the user places on the piece. To look into the finer points like keywords in the piece, I'd have to see how everything is set up, though I'm assuming it's in some sort of database format.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 am
barefootrunner says...

I love the column format and clear, fresh look. The green is rather refreshing. I agree on the point of the grey lines, though.

I miss being able to see how many views your post got. There seemed to be more info available in the forum format. The 0-1 reviews bit is really important to me, too!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:17 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Made some cosmetic updates to the browse area, incorporating some of the suggestions. The color for the genre has been changed to grey, the color for the title has been changed to blue, and the font style for the title has been changed to the normal default. It looks much clearer now, so thank you all for the suggestions.

The bottom border is a good idea, but it's a little difficult to pull off. The problem is that each cell in the column is of a different height, meaning that adjacent cells are not necessarily of the same height. That leads to disjointed borders and a lot of odd spacing issues. Could probably figure it out if I spent some time on it, but it'd probably require some javascript and I don't like using javascript much anymore.

Search functionality will soon be added, as will the 0/1 review custom searches. Regarding views, that kind of stuff is really only interesting for the author. That's not to say that it's not important but that I have other plans for it :)

Thanks all!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:09 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I hate it all.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 am
noninjaes says...

Why?
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

That was sarcastic and clearly ill-received. Whoopsie! I honestly love it- agree about ratings but I'm sure they'll come in time!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6