z

Young Writers Society

Downtime on New Year's Eve

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:29 pm
Nate says...

Last night, I wrote a blog entry about how the new YWS was stable and so much better than the old YWS because of that. Well, fate has a way of making us humble...

What happened is that I decided last night to upgrade the version of the MySQL database that we're running. The database is exactly what it sounds like; that is, it's where all the data about YWS is stored from posts, to blog entries, and even your profile comments.

However, YWS was running version 5.0 of the database, which will no longer be supported by MySQL as of tomorrow. I don't like running old software as it's dangerous, so I did an unattended upgrade to version 5.1 (the latest) and went to bed. I had a bunch of stuff to do today, so I didn't see Jabberhut's e-mails to me or the posts left on the Facebook wall about the errors until well into the afternoon.

Fortunately, the errors proved relatively easy to fix, but I apologize sincerely for the downtime. It shouldn't have happened, and I definitely should not have run an upgrade unattended.

At any rate, everything is good to go now and the server's software is fully upgraded all across the board. So, hopefully something like this won't happen again anytime soon.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 pm
Mikko says...

*likes*
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 pm
JabberHut says...

Yay!

Strangely enough, I find it a relief to hear it wasn't a server crashing again, and thus something you could fix rather than having to wait it out. I'll keep that in mind in case anything does happen again!

Thank you so much though! Good to hear!
I make my own policies.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:49 am
Charlie II says...

Oh, Nate -- Happy New Year!
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:32 am
Lava says...

I love the fireworks art! Happy New Year!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara