Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:32 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I love it Nate! Just one quick thing- is there no 'delete' option? I don't mind not being able to edit so much because previously if something was wrong I would have just deleted the comment- but now I can't seem to? It's grand if we won't be able to delete comments, but maybe put a line at the top of the page telling us it won't be possible?

Hate to be such a nitpicker! Other than that, the site is looking so great! Plus all the info on the side of people's works now, I love having that back as well.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Aye, deleting will indeed be coming back.

Not sure about editing. It's just somewhat hard to set up (especially with the current profile format in which there is no default posting area). Same goes for reviews. Besides, with being able to specifically reply to a comment, it should be easy enough to add something in. And in case you really need to change something, just delete and repost.

I admit, that's not exactly desirable; it'd be much better to simply be able to edit a comment rather than go through the trouble of deleting & reposting it. But, it's just difficult to set up.

However, on the matter of editing, that "feature" will be going live later today for literary works. I put "feature," in quotes only because it's more of a necessary component than a feature!

Also, literary works may be temporarily taken offline later today. It won't be for long, and I'll be sure to put up a big red warning box before I do (if I do).

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:11 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

More big red boxes? Yay!

(They make me laugh. I love them.)

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:53 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Yes! Editing will be back! Gonna delete some mistaken posts!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

425 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:22 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Those changes to the commenting system I talked about have been made. It'll be interesting to see if/how people use them! I'm kind of hoping it'll become somewhat of a substitute for forums, which I find to be kind of restrictive.

Just to go over the changes again...

Mentions

Mentions are done just by saying @whoever. Keep in mind, only spelling matters. Also, mentions will not work with people who have spaces in their username.

When you make a mention, that person will be notified once the Notifications system is up and running again.

Hashtags

#Hashtags are keywords that you can mark a profile comment with. You can use them however you want!

Groups

\Groups are marked off with a backslash. These are pretty similar to hashtags, but whereas hashtags mark off keywords, \groups categorize your post in certain categories.

Additional Note

Keep in mind that whereas mentions will work in replies to comments, groups and hashtags will not. This was a design decision as it should be up to the original poster as to how their post is categorized.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 am
View Likes
Dragongirl says...

Hey I know if it was here before it will most likely becoming back, but....

I was wondering if the 'Friend' button is just out of order at the moment or if I am looking in the wrong places?
Last edited by Dragongirl on Fri May 25, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

425 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:47 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Changes to Browse area

- Editing is back! To an extent. At the moment, you can only edit the title, short description, and post text.

- You can sort the browse area according to only your works, or according to the people you are following.

- Some minor changes to the sidebar area within works

- Likes bug fixed.

Dragongirl ->> It's coming back. For now, to add a friend, just go to Dashboard and click on 'Friends & Foes.'

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Nate wrote:- Editing is back! To an extent. At the moment, you can only edit the title, short description, and post text.

Yay! Thank you! I had to fix a minor, but annoying typo. Love the description!
Although, I can't edit my spoilered text. I presume you know about that though.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

202 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 am
View Likes
Blues says...

Will the spoiler code work on works? I know bbcode would on comments, but I'm not sure otherwise.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:30 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Ooohh! I love the Tool area! It seems to be very professional!

Ahmad's right, there's still no spoiler code. I also can't find the delete button. Don't worry, I will wait for it!

Also, I can't find the Post button on the Browse area. I know I have the 'Add New Work' tab, but wouldn't it be more economical to have one there too?

Your pal,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:26 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

I know you said that the like bug was fixed, but I've noticed that the likes on works posted before Apollo aren't shown. Also, when I comment on reviews, the words are tiny and grey. I'm not sure either is supposed to be like that.

:]
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

425 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:50 pm
Nate says...

Jas, it's going to be a while before everything is good. Please be patient.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:05 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Also, mentions will not work with people who have spaces in their username.

I am expecting lots of mentions purely because of this.

-StellanospaceThomas
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 pm
View Likes
lilymoore says...

I know it's going to be a while before all things are good and such but I thought I would make a short mention that when you're looking at the list of related items next to an already open work, because some titles can be pretty long, the list seems sort of jumbled if a title takes up more than one line and turning it into a bulleted list might be useful.
Spoiler! :
With longer titles, it looks kind of jumbled, like this.Image

Still, I'm really loving how everything is coming together piece by piece. When things appear and I finally notice them, it's kind of like a cake day surprise. :D
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

202 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 am
View Likes
Blues says...

I'm not sure if you're working on the browse area right now, but perhaps if the check box was made into two ... round check-boxes where you have to click either the one or the other to submit? (So is it either a comment or a review) Some people on chat (and I've done this too by accident) forgot to press the check box for a review.

Just a suggestion :)

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild