z

Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 am
Lavvie says...

Loading my inbox is a lot faster. Before it took a few minutes, if not longer. It's almost instant now.

And the quote is lovely.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:00 pm
Rydia says...

I can confirm that the PM inbox loads faster! Mine took quite a while before but now it was pretty much instant.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:49 pm
Nate says...

Odd. I wonder for what reason private messages are loading faster now. I wish I could take credit, but I honestly didn't do a thing.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:44 pm
Justagirl says...

It must have been... Pat Buchanan.
O.o
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 pm
Blues says...

Or Fred.

Yeah. Fred. Getting revenge >=D I've seen an error when YWS was down and it said 'Fred'.

That Rhymed

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Justagirl says...

AhmadBlues wrote:Or Fred.

Yeah. Fred. Getting revenge >=D I've seen an error when YWS was down and it said 'Fred'.

That Rhymed
No, it didn't XP I think...
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:13 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

OR, it could have been a New Years miracle~! (I'm in the spirit now.)

Or it was just the new software you used on the search box that happened to work for the PMs too?

(Lol, Ahmad! It didn't xD )
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:42 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Or maybe it was just Nate's magic. YWS loves Nate so much, so it decided to work faster! :D :D

Lol ~! :P Oh! Oh! And now when I preview, the outlook is great. Especially when it's in italics. Though when you click "Submit", the italics aren't that pretty like in the Preview. :(

Anyway, I love the new bamboo background! It's so... Nice. <3'
I love the new YWS! ^o^
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:11 pm
Skorpionne says...

"Who's chatting, mate?"

LOVE.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

Nate wrote:Search is now... vastly better.

I installed a new search engine called Sphinx. It took me a couple days to figure out how to install it (all the 500 Server errors were pretty much due to me trying to install this program), but it should be well worth it in the long run. Searches are now pretty much instantaneous, which is awesome. Theoretically, it should also be possible to extend it to other areas of the site when it comes online, but that will probably prove difficult.

But, yes. Search is fast now.

I know you said no bug reports, but... search doesn't seem to register most members' new posts. I'll try hitting "search users' posts" on their profile, and I get a message that "no suitable matches were found" until I refresh, at which point I get matches. However, none of them are after January 1.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 pm
Sins says...

I've encountered the same problem as Rosey, although the "no suitable matches were found" only happens now and then for me. Like Rosey, I can't see users' posts since January 1st though.

EDIT: a few January 2nd posts are showing up with some users though.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:32 pm
Nate says...

Please no bug reports at this time :)

Based on this, I've asked a couple people, including Rosey, to send me bug reports over PM. That way, I'll continue to get them. It's just that at the moment, there's a lot of stuff that shouldn't work.

At any rate, the new search functionality doesn't run constantly. It's highly memory intensive, so it updates the search index only infrequently. The advantage of this is that searches are faster. The disadvantage is that new posts don't show up right away.

However, I've noticed errors at the top of the page whenever I submit a post. I've pretty much ignored them for now, but I'll take a closer look.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:36 pm
murtuza says...

On the bright side, loading times for my mobile browser have improved tenfold. It's become very easy to browse through the site on hand-held and isn't too taxing on the device as well.

So Yippee! ^.^
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

Okay, good to know! A faster search is a nice trade-off, once we figure out how often posts are updated.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:44 pm
Nate says...

Well, the "error" message I saw (and others too I assume) whenever I submitted a post was simply a debug thing. That is, it wasn't an error but rather something put in place by the guy who created the modification for the purpose of debugging.

Murtuza ->> Good to hear. The old YWS had a lot of javascript files that were probably reducing mobile performance. YWS: Apollo, on the other hand, has very few javascript files.

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon