z

Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:17 pm
View Likes
Dragongirl says...

Hey Nate, Just want to give you a special thank you for getting up the Profiles, so to show how grateful I am, I wrote you a poem.

Nate the Great

Nate, the young writer, has got mad skills
When it comes to up dating web sites.
Even stricken after the donut run,
He's stayed up, hard at work in the night.

For a time the 'Like' button dissappeared,
But it has since been returned.
What we need now is a button saying;
'This Work Should Really Be Burned'.

Oh, come on, don't take it that way.
You know that I simply tease.
On the YWS we're polite and kind
What I meant was 'Burn This Trash, PLEASE!'

But all jokes aside,
I just want to thank Nate.
Because with all his hard work
The site's looking great!

Thank you, Nate!

~Dragongirl
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:40 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

No worries Spark, but thank you for being so forgiving of my remark. I'm getting crabby! I'm afraid all the updating is taking its toll.

Dragongirl ->> Thank you, but with profile commenting now in place, please direct any further gracious comments to my profile. Thanks!

Everyone ->> Please excuse my testiness. However, everything from the old YWS will be back with the possible exception of badges (the nomination system is just too complicated). Beyond that, a ton of new features are being added as well.

Sometime in the next few days (maybe today), I'll make a post in my blog about everything that will be happening. Pretty much everything (incl. the forums) still has stuff to be added and changed, and I'm honestly not sure when I'll be done with everything. The major stuff should be done fairly soon (within the next few weeks), but then there's a thousand little things left to be done.

At any rate, the following system will be re-implemented later today, and notifications and feeds should follow soon enough. Just keep an eye on this thread!

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:35 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

oh! Shiny new features! I'm about to EXPLODE from excitement. Anyway, no problem Nate, I would have flipped out on everyone by now if I was you. xD
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:01 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Woo commenting had returned! Thanks Nate :)
Also, is it just me or has the option to edit preferences been removed? I've searched for it but might be being very slow...

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 pm
View Likes
Pilot says...

Nate wrote:Everything else about profiles is gone, but that'll be fixed soon enough. Although, my next priority is notifications and then portfolios, so don't expect all the missing information to re-appear for a couple days.

That answers my question. I was wondering when I will be able to see my stats and stuff. Thanks for the constant updates, Nate!
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I'm getting crabby!

Noooo, Nate, haven't you heard? We're bringing back "curmudgeonly." :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

At least I can sleep well tonight, knowing the different features of YWS to expect as I will read it in Nate's Blog. I'm so excited!

Too bad about the badges, though. At first look, it does seem to be very complicated. It was a good feature, though. But of course, the new features will be replacing this oldie! No worries!

I noticed that the Popdown is already vertical. That's a good one!

Your pal,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:19 pm
View Likes
noninjaes says...

Yay! Shiny stuff.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 pm
View Likes
Pilot says...

noninjaspresent wrote:Yay! Shiny stuff.

+1
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 pm
View Likes
Payne says...

It's so PRETTTTTTY.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Well, the 'People' tab was added last night. So linguistically, the 'Feeds' will indeed not be coming back!

Creating a new area just for feeds (as opposed to making them part of profiles) allows for a lot more flexibility within the system. For one, it makes it a lot easier design-wise to allow for the creation of user lists. Previously, that was of course possible, but the design implementation of the filter would've been tough to do right. Now, the filter could be done by just adding a button for each list you've created in the sidebar area.

As a quick aside, lists won't actually be created anytime soon as there's currently no need for it (there's just not enough activity). However, as/if the site grows, I will add that implementation in.

But more than that, the 'People' tab will also make something else very easy to do: hashtags, mentions, and auto-groups. I alluded to these additions in one of my status messages today, and they'll be added in this weekend.

All of the below pertains only to the 'People' area:

Hashtags

These will be familiar to anyone who uses #Twitter. A #hashtag is really just a way of marking keywords within a post, and then the server will automatically turn that #hashtag into a link. Clicking the link will then show you all posts with that #hashtag. Make sense?

Mentions

If you wanted to mention @freakforchrist in a post, you'd just do that. That person would then get a notification letting them know they've been mentioned. Plus, the system would automatically link @freakforchrist to freakforchrist's profile.

Auto-groups

Hashtags are for keywords, while auto-groups are for categories. Groups are marked off with a forward-slash: \. The below would be an example of it's usage:

Nate wrote:Watching the #superbowl this weekend. /sports

Or:

Nate wrote: Currently #reading The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. @Brian recommended it to me. /books /scifi

Clicking on /books, /scifi, or /sports would then take you to all posts that have been grouped by others in this way.

I think hashtags, mentions, and auto-groups could dramatically transform the People tab into something much deeper and much richer.

Edit

Also, some people have talked about the 'Weblogs' tab. I guess a lot of people don't know anymore that 'Blog' is just a shortened form of 'Weblog'! Where do you think the name came from anyways? ;)

In any case, I changed it to 'Weblogs' to keep with the alphabetical order of the tabs. Otherwise, 'Blogs' would've been the first tab, and I want to keep 'Browse' as the first tab.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

I #like this, @Nate! /praise
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:52 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Alphabetical!? I haven't paid any attention, have I? T'is the first time I noticed it! Ha!

Anyways, love the new People area! It's a good shortcut for the 'feeds'. I'm very excited to use the new features! Where in the People area will they appear on?

Also, I would like to agree with your statement. There are not much activity here nowadays. Wonder why?

Your pal,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:15 am
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

YES!!! These new bells and whistles are awesome! Thank you so much for an awesome site, Nate! :D
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

A couple people have asked, but there will not be 'Liking' for replies to profile comments & status messages. I honestly can't remember if you could do that on the old YWS, but the reason is just that it would take too much time to implement. Believe it or not, but 'Liking' was by far the most difficult feature to implement for profile comments. The actual submission system was a cinch to set up, as was everything else. But just allowing people to 'Like' and 'Unlike' comments took me four hours! Honestly, I have no idea why it took so long other than there's just a lot of minutiae involved. Even at the time I was doing it, I remember thinking, "Why the heck is this taking so long?".

So, no liking for replies to profile comments. Sorry!

Seeing is believing, but feeling is the truth.
— Thomas Fuller