z

Young Writers Society

Why YWS Went Out Of Whack On April 11, 2006

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:36 am
Nate says...

I'm sure a lot of people noticed the problems that YWS has been having today. First, nothing looked right, then the entire site went down. When it came back up, YWS Dark was gone and YWS Standard was back in all its standard glory.

What happened was I overwrote some files on YWS Dark. I figured it was no problem 'cause I had the backup on my laptop. Well, I picked the wrong backup and ended up overwriting all the files with the default, meaning that it was only a forum. Then it turned out that I deleted the right backup last night for some inconcievable reason.

Fortunately, YWS Standard was still saved, so I switched YWS back over to it. There can't be a switchover back to YWS Dark since it is so utterly messed up.

So my fault. I really should be more careful when moving stuff around 'cause this is the third time I've done this... but ah well. Everything is good now, and the poll switched such that most people prefer YWS Standard anyways. Plus, I gotta say, I missed it.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:41 am
Areida says...

I missed it soooo much. I know it's frustrating to lose stuff on a computer, so I'm sorry that happened to you :(. But I'm still glad to have Standard back. It loads way faster for me than the Dark does. Not sure why, but it does.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:43 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Well, it's really good to see good old standard working.

I must admit though, the entire episode has given me an opportunity to explore other skins. I've reached a good comprimise with YWS Gray. I also think it's cool that you can tell how many people have what, just in case we need to delete some in the future (don't think that will be a problem though.)

Everything is back to normal.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:59 am
Sam says...

Yes, I noticed that too...

Well, glad it's back up!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:12 am
Galatea says...

I am SO glad that it is back. I absolutely HATE YWS Dark. Ickyness on so many levels....
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:25 am
Torpid says...

i kinda like dark but then again im a scary fella. anywho, nice work Nate, the site is alive and functioning and stuff. tally ho, good job.

~me

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:26 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

NOOOOOOOOOOOooo.... Crud. I liked YWS Dark, it added to my darkness complex (i don't like light that much...) and standard hurts my eyes, so i have to turn the light of the computer way down... nuts.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:17 am
Rei says...

I agree Galatea! The light it so much nicer. The dark is all depressing.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:28 am
Nate says...

Dargquon Ql'deleodna wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOooo.... Crud. I liked YWS Dark, it added to my darkness complex (i don't like light that much...) and standard hurts my eyes, so i have to turn the light of the computer way down... nuts.

Sorry darq. I'm still going to try to give users the options of different backgrounds though. Was about to do it today, but even though I know how to do it, it's going to require a lot more time than I previously thought.

Also, what does everyone think of the new logo? I think it's better than the last one, but I'm not sure if it's any good still.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 am
Bobo says...

My offer still stands about editing the skins. Nate, if you send me the image files for YWS Standard, I'll be happy to make a darker version for us darkness lovers. If you want to take the effort fo edit the colors of the skin, then I'll make a poll to see what kind of dark skin people want, and I'll do it.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:48 am
Areida says...

The new logo is cute. I don't know if that's the wrong adjective to convince you that it's cool enough, but that font really is quite adorable. *grins*
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:56 am
Torpid says...

i dont like the headline banner logo. you should pick one of the last two you had, i think.

and darkness themes would be good cuz all this white is burning me so yea...you know... woot go Bobo, lets get us sum dark!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:14 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Looks good!
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:31 am
Duskglimmer says...

*wanders in looking terribly dejected*

*looks around the room at all the happy people* Standard... is boring...

*misses her YWS Dark more than she can say*

*shuffles out again*
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:36 am
Poor Imp says...

...Sure it was an accident, Nate?

Just kidding.

Well, either way is fine I suppose. :D (Though I was confused for awhile when it went crazy...)
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert