z

Young Writers Society

Site Down-Times

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:36 am
Nate says...

Twice today, the Young Writers Society went off-line. The first time was for about an hour, though it occurred at a time of day when not many people access the site. The second time, during our peak hour, YWS went down for about 15 minutes.

Additionally, it seems that the site is regularly going offline at about 12:30 GMT. That's what happened today, and it happened yesterday too. In fact, it's been going on for months.

So if the site is inaccessible for more than 5 minutes, or you get the following error:
SQL error (too many connections)

Then the best thing to do is to leave a note on YWS' Facebook Wall:
http://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety

When you do that, I automatically get an e-mail notifying me. As long as I know of the outage and have access to a computer, I can get the site back online within minutes. But if I don't know of the outage, the site can stay offline for an hour or even more.

However, if you see someone has already left a comment on the Wall about the outage, please don't post another! One person is quite enough :)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 am
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

We should post saying GMT time, probably?

Will do.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:48 pm
Lava says...

I always thought it was slow connection error on my side. Considering how I login at 12.30GMT pretty much daily.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 am
Idraax says...

It does? I haven't noticed....must be at a time when I have class....Is it because of the volume?
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 am
SmylinG says...

Taking good care of yws! You rock Nate :P
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm
Jennya says...

Thanks for the information!
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm
lilymoore says...

Just read this as "sit down time."

*fail*

But when do we start sitting?
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm
Nate says...

As said above, the site typically slows down at 12:30 pm GMT. I have never been able to figure out why, but I think I finally solved it this morning. That is, I think it was statistical programs that I have never used once that were bogging down the site. The programs are installed on pretty much ever server as a default (Awstats and Webalizer stats for those who are familiar with the programs), and it seems they were set to compile all data at 12:30 pm GMT each day. I've now disabled both so cross your fingers that the issue is now solved.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:25 pm
Blues says...

There was downtime on YWS yesterday at around 8pm GMT... and a few days before too, until 10 30 GMT at least. We were stuck in chat xD

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 am
EnchantedPanda says...

Ahhhh so that's what that is! Haha, I thought it was my internet bullying me! Oh well at least I know what it is now and we'll all just be patient whilst it's being fixed!

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron