z

Young Writers Society

WriterFeed Pad Accounts

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

If you've been following my profile or been in the chat or seen my blog entry, then you're probably aware of WriterFeed Pad.

In short, WriterFeed Pad (WFP) is an online document editor that uses an open source program called Etherpad. You can use it to write a story with someone else, plan a storybook together, or just store your documents online. In fact, if you're like me, you already use online document editors since that makes it easy to share documents across computers.

WFP doesn't differ much from regular Etherpad except in one critical aspect: this is the first time it has been hooked into a forum. This means your YWS account and WFP account are now linked.

To see what I mean, go to 'My YWS' and choose 'WriterFeed Pad Account' from the drop-down. This will open WFP in a new window, and then just log in with your username and password!

Why use this? It makes writing a story with someone else so much easier. You can work on a storybook together with other people, and you can easily edit anything you write online from anywhere. Use WFP to start writing your novel at home, then use it again at school to continue writing your novel there, and then use it on vacation to write your novel from the hotel.

If you have any questions, please ask! Also, I'd love it if you let me know if you're using this and how you're using this.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:55 pm
Snoink says...

Some of my school computers do not have a working version of Word, so this is going to be handy for that! Also, Google Docs isn't as intuitive as this, so yay!

It might be cool to be able to put these pads in folders.

EDIT: Spellcheck would also be awesome. :) Firefox, for some reason, doesn't underline the misspelled words.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

I tried to enter Lumi's pad, and it wouldn't recognize my account. He set it to public so it was alright, but it's a bit annoying if you want it to be private.

Past that, this is just downright awesome and I'll have to use this in the future.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am
Lumi says...

In regards to Rosey's adventure: from what I can gather from exploring the account managing page, you can only bring friends into private pads if you create an account for them, and those are ultimately just subordinate limbs of your master account. However, anyone can enter while set to public. Would there possibly be a way to make our docs private while allowing our friends to enter without the use of subordinate accounts? Of course, this is a completely new program, so as it is right now, it's phenomenal.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

425 Reviews

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:10 am
Nate says...

Lumi wrote:In regards to Rosey's adventure: from what I can gather from exploring the account managing page, you can only bring friends into private pads if you create an account for them, and those are ultimately just subordinate limbs of your master account. However, anyone can enter while set to public. Would there possibly be a way to make our docs private while allowing our friends to enter without the use of subordinate accounts? Of course, this is a completely new program, so as it is right now, it's phenomenal.

At the moment, no. I would love to and I will definitely try to figure out a way to do this, but all this Etherpad stuff is way over my head; it uses incredibly complex javascript that I can only figure out by deliberately breaking stuff then trying to figure out what I broke!

But, other ways of doing it wouldn't necessarily be much better. Even if I could make it such that your friends automatically had access, that wouldn't work for everyone since most YWSers have people on their friends/followers list that they wouldn't want to have access to their Pads.

Any other way of doing it would only be slightly less complex. You'd still have to go to the Account Management page and do something like "Grant Access." Then the Grant Access page would just be like the Create New Account page, except there'd by no entry for "email" and "password."

In any case, be sure to check out the 'Help' page, which covers sharing (in fact, it's the only help topic!).

Snoink ->> I know spell check would be awesome, but it's not going to happen.

1272 Reviews

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 am
Rosendorn says...

I'm beginning to think WriterFeed Pad just hates me.

I tried signing in to my own Pad, only for it to tell me I entered in the wrong password. I know for a fact this is the same password I enter in to YWS (and I typed it about five times to make sure, getting the same error each time).

I even tried it without the space in my name, but then it couldn't find my account.

I'm fine using the non-personalized pads, but not being able to access my own is mildly annoying.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Just a quick note, I'm removing the managing accounts area such that you can no longer create accounts. The problem is that once you do this, that person you created has access to your entire WriterFeed Pad collection. I'm sure not everyone will be comfortable with that.

Fortunately, I didn't know you can set access to public while still requiring a password to enter. That sounds like a far better solution to me than anything else. Just be careful who you share the password with! Of course, save revisions often so even if some jerk does delete everything, you can still recover it.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 am
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

:D

> I haven't tested out yet that much, but for now let me just say it's sleek and awesome and I love the YWS intergration.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 pm
Rydia says...

Whooooo this is fun! :D I've only used it to add to the YWS story so far but I'll probably find other things to do with it too.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:38 am
PenguinAttack says...

Query! I noticed tonight, as I started to transfer some saved poetry in to a Pad so that I could play with them whenever I wanted, that you can't copy&paste in to the pad? This may just be me incompetent, but if someone could explain it to me, I'd be eternally happy!

[Edit] I tried importing but that refused to work for me, I'm not sure why? [/Edit]
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:05 pm
Day says...

Just thought I would let you know that this probably my favorite feature on the entire website at the moment. It is probably because I've become inactive from the chatroom and don't have the time to review, but still I really enjoy the writerfeed account. The reason is that it allows me to easily transfer my work from one computer to another without the hassle of a flash drive, but I wish it had spellcheck like word does.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

1272 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 pm
Rosendorn says...

I've developed methods around spellcheck. They are known as my Grammar-Nazi friends. :P

I'll also copy stuff to Word periodically just to have a back-up in case I can't access WFP for whatever reason (college wireless is unpredictable sometimes) and spellcheck it there. Then I copy it back with all the corrections in place.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:46 am
airforcegirl says...

how do you clear a chat feed? and what if a whole section turned a different color what do you do?
Air force!

1272 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

For clearing a chat feed, I don't think you can.

For changing colours, just cut out the section (highlight it, then hit ctrl X) then hit ctrl V in the same spot. That changes it back to your original colour.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:43 pm
Stori says...

I just have one question. How do you export your documents? I tried, and something happened to the file.

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.
— J.K. Rowling