z

Young Writers Society

Submit to the Young Writers Literary Journal! (closed)

389 Reviews

Reviews: 389
Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:09 am
View Likes
SeraphTree says...

Sounds good. I think I'll try this. :D
"How grateful we are that the heavens are indeed open, that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored, and that the Church is founded on the rock of revelation. We are a blessed people, with apostles and prophets upon the earth today."~ Thomas S. Monson

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:59 pm
View Likes
Emmzziee says...

Okay, sorry I keep posting on this... But I never wrote my address here in YWS, so there'd be no way of them contacting me... :)
I want to play a game.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 pm
Fishr says...

If you have a functional email address you're able to access, then that is how you will be contacted.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Only 19 days left to submit! So far, we have a total of 58 submissions: 22 short stories, 8 artwork, and 28 poems.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:43 am
View Likes
Pigeon says...

What is defined as a short story?
The best piece of writing I have at the moment it a short (almost 300 words) description. Would that be okay to submit?

Oh, and can we get things printed elsewhere AFTER they're in the magazine? Or is that cheating? :D ;)
Reader, what are you doing?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Short stories has a wide definition, but I generally take it to mean something longer than 500 words with a fully worked out plot, at least one character/ animate object acting as a character and events.

However, there is no formula for submissions to the journal so you're free to submit the 300 word piece.

As for further publishing, in this situation, the copyright is returned to you, but it's more a question of someone else accepting an already published work. As you can see by the guidelines, the journal doesn't accept anything already published and most others wont either. In the terms of something bigger like, say you were printing a whole anthology of poetry or turning that short story into a novel, there would be a less of a problem.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:13 pm
View Likes
Pigeon says...

Thanks! That all makes sense! I think my story just about fits your definition too, except for the word length :)
Hemingway once wrote a six word long short story :D but I agree with you that longer ones generally work better.
Reader, what are you doing?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:55 pm
View Likes
TheCodex says...

Can they be something we've posted on another site, for example, Deviant Art?
I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research!
-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
- Jack London.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:57 pm
View Likes
TheCodex says...

Also, how many words for an average short story? Thanks :D
I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research!
-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
- Jack London.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:14 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Work posted on Deviant Art is fine; that's still classed as unpublished.

I'd say the average length for a short story is 2000-4000 words, but it's very much down to opinion. Some magazines like them to be 1000 to 2000 while others prefer 3000 to 5000. Most sources include anything up to 7,500 words as a short story and some go as high as 10,000. So don't worry too much about the length.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 am
View Likes
Sachiko says...

A piece I'm thinking about entering has won first place in a (weekly) writing contest, and it was posted on the publishing house's website, but hasn't been included in an online magazine or printed anywhere. Does this count as published?
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:14 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Sachiko ->> That's fine. Submit it!

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Is there a minimum size for photos?
If you could specify a rough size, in inches or otherwise, it would help.
Because one of the two I'm debating on sending was taken from my phone and is smaller than the one from my camera.

Thanks. ^^
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:23 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Lava, the photo has to fit onto a 5.25 x 8.25 inch page. So the maximum width would be 5 inches. The height doesn't really matter as long as it isn't longer than 8 inches.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:30 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

This was somewhat answered with the mention of Classy's magazine, but can entries submitted to Spun Yarn be okay for the Journal? It's YWS-hosted, so I figure it's okay. But I thought I'd check!
I make my own policies.

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck…you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
— Cecil Gershwin Palmer