z

Young Writers Society

What to use Pages for, and How To Promote Your Page

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:54 am
Nate says...

If you haven't already, go and check out the new Pages system.

Now that you've checked it out, why don't we go over what you can use them for? And then after that, lets talk about how we can promote our Pages.

What to use Pages for

Thus far, most of the Pages created by users are geared toward interests and hobbies; just like on Facebook. But, I'm going to make a bet and say that the novelty of that will fade away. Instead, I think Pages will really succeed in the following areas:

Promoting Yourself
Honestly, don't be afraid to create a Page dedicated to yourself. If worse comes to worse, you're the only person who ends up joining, which is no big deal.

See, one of the cool things about Pages is the ability to send a PM newsletter. This way, if you're looking for help on a portion of your story or novel, you could send out a newsletter to those people who have subscribed through your Page. Or, you could send out announcements whenever you post a new work, or set up discussion topics on your Page about specific works.

Running a Storybook
Don't like how in the storybooks area anyone can join? Then create a Page, set it to hidden, and start up a new storybook. And unlike the storybooks area, you can have dozens of topics in the discussions area. So that way, you can even create different areas of the world you're creating with others.

Creating a Group
Most groups eventually die off. But the most successful ones are writing groups and/or reviewing groups. Set up a Page, tell your YWS friends about it, and you have an instant community of writers.

Running a contest
After you create a contest thread in the contests forum, you could create a Page where people have to go to submit their work (that is, they post it as a new topic in the discussions area). This way, people can easily comment on individual entries and you don't have to worry about getting entries in the thread, your PM inbox, or your e-mail inbox (or as is the case whenever I run a contest, all three).

So those are just some ideas. Now, what about promoting?

Promoting your group

Create a thread in The Lounge
So, one person just created a Coca-Cola Page. To get more followers, they could go to The Lounge, start a discussion topic about Coca-Cola while including a link back to the Page.

Let your YWS Friends know
Once you create a Page, why not paste a link to it in your feed? Or if you just want certain people to join, why not send a PM to those people?

Include it in your signature
Just like it says: leave a link to your Page in your signature.

Storybook?
If it's a storybook, there is a storybook adverts forum.

Group?
If it's a group, there is a groups advert forum.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:58 am
Juniper says...

So... what not to make a page for? :)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 pm
Snoink says...

Juniper wrote:So... what not to make a page for? :)

No pages against the site rules. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:11 pm
Bloo says...

Snoink wrote:
Juniper wrote:So... what not to make a page for? :)

No pages against the site rules. ;)

So that means I can't make "Cht spkr & prd"? what about Potty Mouths?
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:13 pm
LadySpark says...

where is this pages located? I can't seem to find it..
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:15 pm
Nate says...

DramaLlama wrote:where is this pages located? I can't seem to find it..

They're called Clubs now.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:17 pm
LadySpark says...

oh... Lol... :)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow