Chat Room FAQ

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Hi!

The YWS chat room is a fun place to visit, but sometimes it can stir up questions, especially if you're not a frequent visitor. If there's something you want to ask about the chat, check the list below and see if you can find the answer. If not, just post your question in this thread!

What are the chat rules?
Click!

I typed in all caps/chatspeak. Why are people telling me off?
As it says in the chat rules, both are frowned upon on YWS. (However, some of the most common abbreviations, like "brb" and "lol" are accepted.) If you type properly, people will like you a lot better.

How do I mute the Chat sounds?
See the little megaphone symbol in the bottom right hand corner under the main chat? Just click that! To mute the private chat bar sounds, click the gear icon next to "Who's Online" and tick "Disable sound notifications".

Why are certain usernames have stars next to them?
That person is a chat moderator! They are either a Junior Moderator, a Global Moderator, Administration, Nate, or just a regular member that has been chosen by staff to be a chat moderator. Always obey the Chat Mods.

Why is there a separate "Chatrooms" section though we already have the main chat?
Here, you can create a new chatroom if you want to talk to several people at the same time without the busy main chat to distract. You can invite other users in the room you create.

How to private message (PM) someone?
There are two options to do this on chat! You can either click a person's name on the side bar, which will create a chatroom just for you two. You can also click "Who's Online" in the bottom right hand corner and click a person's name - this functions very much like the chat on Facebook! You can use the latter private chat on any page on YWS - you don't need to be in the chatroom for this. Neat!

Why can't I PM anyone?
Are you logged in YWS? You have to be logged in on the site to be able to use the PM chat.

Updated by Demeter on March 3rd 2012

Updated by Iggy - 8/20/13

Updated by Demeter - 2/22/14
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:11 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

and scheming to take over the world.

Scheming to take over the world can also be done in main Chat, so long as you give everybody present their share. ;)

Awesome list Demi! :D
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:16 pm
View Likes
Evi says...

What does it mean when someone logs in and out the chat many times in a row?
This is a chat glitch, and not the fault of the user in question. It's usually stopped by a chat mod who bans the glitchy user for a brief moment, and then

D: And then what?! Don't leave me hanging!

;) But very informative. Perhaps you should mentioned what counts as chat-speak, since we've had members wonder why "brb" is allowed but "l8r" isn't. Thanks Dems!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:23 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

xD Evi, I didn't even notice I didn't finish the sentence! Thanks!

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:47 pm
View Likes
Gladius says...

Yus! This will be soooo useful when a newbie enters chat. xD I can't count the number of times these questions have come up. Now I shall just refer them to this! :D

*bookmarks*
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:45 pm
View Likes
Atrevido says...

HEY! Well this is my only post at the moment because my dumb computer tells me the site is restricted for me... Any Help? I'm currently using a proxy..

Demeter Awesome JOB! Helpful for beginners! XD
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did. -- T.E Lawrence

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:10 am
XChangeX says...

Where did the chat go? I can't find it anywhere, please help?
Thanks,
XOChange
The only constant in our lives is Change.

Revelations 21:4
He will wipe every tear from their eye. There will be no more mourning or death or pain. There will be no more crying for the old way of things has gone away.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:24 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

The links were rearranged and things were deleted, so you can no longer access chat from the drop-down menu. To access chat, scroll down and you'll see the link on the homepage, just under featured works.

Spoiler! :

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

878 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:25 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Updated!

Got YWS?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:24 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I gots a question! When you block someone, how do they know? do they recieve a message?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:56 am
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I'm pretty sure they are not notified when ignored.

Only the ignorer knows unless they decide to tell people they did. The ignorer doesn't see what the other person says, but the other person can still see what the ignorer says.
I make my own policies.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

The link to chat is beneath the featured works section on the front page!
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

Right now the chat isn't loading, merely a white field with the logo and menus. What's causing the problem?

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain