z

Young Writers Society

Design Changes: August 18, 2007

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:51 am
Nate says...

Just made a lot of small design changes to the Default template. A listing follows:

- Removed rectangular box around blocks on the front page & other sections. Added red dotted line between blocks.

- Removed box around Stories & Poems on the front page and placed just a blue dotted line between each.

- Changed font face & size for most non-forum pages (e.g, Resources, About, Contact).

- Added short snippets for Parents & Educators on the Contact page

- Hopefully fixed the 'pre' word wrapping problem for Safari.

- Added 'Total Reviews' back into profiles. No idea why it went missing.

Also, a question posed to all:

What do you think of changing the page layout for stories and poems to the page layout in the Writing Tips Database.

For example:
Change this to this.

By the way, I would add an "About the Author" box above the Google ad.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:20 pm
Swires says...

I think the "showcase" forums would be excellent in the proposed style, it draws more focus to the actual work, adds another bit of add space and makes it more "sitey" than forumy.

However my big complaint is the ads above the design, I hate them there.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:23 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

All looks good to me, although in the proposed layout for stories and poems I find the position of the ads very distracting - it'd be better if they were just above or below the entire story, not taking a chunk out of the side.

Just a thought,

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:19 pm
Sureal says...

On the front page: it looks good, until you begin to scroll down. Then you get a lot of white space, which doesn't look good. Would it possible to inject just a little more colour into it?

On the story/poem layout: Personally, I prefer how it is now. It works well for writing tips, but not so well for stories/poems.
I wrote the above just for you.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:48 pm
Leja says...

I like the old style of posting work, where it's in a nice neat forum box and all. It's less distracting. It's also easier to read because the background isn't bright white. Stay with this style.

About the lines on the homepage: I like them; I just wish they were in a single neutral color like gray or blue. I think the red stands out too much.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:43 pm
Poltergiest says...

Uh, sorry but the dotted borders just bug me. I liked the boxes much better... It fells wierd somehow. (Not trying to dis you Nate!) I just liked it alot better the other way.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:21 pm
View Likes
Alainna says...

I like both styles! I'm happy whatever, but the old way was less....startling.
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:24 pm
Cade says...

Yeah, I definitely liked the old way better. It looked much more...finished and professional.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:31 pm
Emerson says...

To the question:

I'd freak out too much. I like change, but not big change, and it is a forum, it is wasn't a forum-like page, I'd be really weirded out. heh, I'm too used to what it is now, and otherwise I like how it is now. I do agree to shows the work off more [and the font is bigger so it makes it slightly easier to read] but I'm not even sure I like the resources like that, haha. It's just too different.

EDIT: I don't like the lack of borders.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:28 pm
Snoink says...

Wow, okay. I thought it was a complete mistake. Mostly because I can't see the blue and red on Safari. Though, Firefox for mac is fine.

Pics of what I see here, if you're interested:

I would rather have the story the way it is now. I hate how the story has to compete with the ad.

EDIT:

I checked out the pre feature on Safari, and alas! The same problem.

On Firefox for mac, it looks fine (although there are are no tabs seen) but at least it doesn't stretch the whole screen.

This one is a little more subtle, and I don't know if they have this on Windows machines, but both on Firefox and Safari, it has [pre:8780c915e8] before the work on the front page.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:39 am
Nate says...

Snoink ->> Then it ain't going to work for Safari until Apple bothers to update its browser to CSS protocol that even IE has been supporting since 1998. If you can find a solution on the web, send it to me, but I can't spend any more time on it.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:41 am
Snoink says...

Ah, okay. I guess it's Firefox then. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate