z

Young Writers Society

YWS Loading Problems Fixed

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:24 pm
Nate says...

Over the past couple weeks, many users have noticed the site running slow on varied occasions. I initially attributed this to poor Bartemius as the problem began after I made him speak. Yet after making him more efficient, the problems still continued. Then I thought it was the database, which I subsequently optimized. That didn't fix it either.

Finally, I contacted my hosting provider, and they pointed me in a direction that seems to have fixed it. For an explanation, see the YWS Blog. But long story short, it appears to have been a brute force attack.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:02 pm
Lindsaroo says...

It's fixed? Oh thank you Nate! You rock!
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

425 Reviews

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:12 pm
Nate says...

Staring_at_ceiling wrote:It's fixed? Oh thank you Nate! You rock!

Yeah, but I've said this two times before already. But the third time is the charm. Right?

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:41 pm
Poltergiest says...

Hooray! Its fixed! Thanx Nate. What do you mean by, brute force? Thanx again!

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

425 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:47 pm
Nate says...

A brute force attack is an automated hacker attack where they attempt to log into the FTP server by guessing the right combination.

Anyhow, it's still going on unfortunately as it's switching IP addresses. Right now I'm trying to restrict access to the FTP server by IP address.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:50 pm
Kylan says...

This brute force thing is getting on my nerves...

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:02 pm
Leja says...

Poor Bartemius, being blamed for stuff :(

I just...don't get it... what would be the purpose of hacking into YWS? Unless someone's made enemies or someone just thinks it's fun? But those reasons seem unlikely.

:grr: people

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 pm
Sureal says...

Some hackers seem to attack websites at random. I dunno, I guess it's more the challenge than the actual reward that does it for them.

Hackers annoy me. Isn't there a chemical we could add to water supplies that would take care off all hackers?
I wrote the above just for you.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 pm
Poltergiest says...

*Puts down glass of water* I'm not a hacker but how will the poisin only affect them? Anyway, I just don't get it either. Its a mega cool website but I don't see what you could get out of it...

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

425 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 pm
Nate says...

Most likely, it's not someone specifically targeting YWS. Rather, it's probably an automated program that prowls the web for sites to hack. I know that most of the IP addresses I have blocked so far are also blocked on most internet sites.

Hopefully it'll end soon. I just finished restricting pretty much everything by IP address such that you have to be in my house to even see the login page for the server. But more than likely, I missed something.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:22 pm
Lynlyn says...

Nate wrote: I just finished restricting pretty much everything by IP address such that you have to be in my house to even see the login page for the server.

The first time around, I misread that and thought you were saying that we'd have to be inside your house to log into YWS. I was about to say, "So, we'll all be over at your place at around five with sleeping bags and microwave meals so we can post our next chapters, all right?"

But, honestly, this kind of thing is ridiculous. It really makes my blood boil that people even set up automated bots to do that kind of thing. I don't really see the gain in it for anyone. The internet is a mean place sometimes. :(
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:31 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Lynlyn wrote:
Nate wrote: I just finished restricting pretty much everything by IP address such that you have to be in my house to even see the login page for the server.

The first time around, I misread that and thought you were saying that we'd have to be inside your house to log into YWS. I was about to say, "So, we'll all be over at your place at around five with sleeping bags and microwave meals so we can post our next chapters, all right?"

But, honestly, this kind of thing is ridiculous. It really makes my blood boil that people even set up automated bots to do that kind of thing. I don't really see the gain in it for anyone. The internet is a mean place sometimes. :(

:smt046 I'll bring the popcorn!

But seriously, why do these idiots spend their time writing programs to hack sites? (I'm beginning to wish Teige existed, so he and Dan could wipe the Internet....:story ramble:)
ohmeohmy

425 Reviews

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:20 am
Nate says...

Well, I just banned another 30 IPs, but no idea if the problem will be fixed it or not.

The only real solution may be what I keep putting off... that is, upgrading from a virtual private server to a dedicated server. Hello $100 a month :(

And to think, three months ago, the cost was only $9 a month!

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:18 am
piepiemann22 says...

Just watch, soon something else will pop lose. Oh well, that's life. At least you're staying ontop of things.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:41 am
Emerson says...

Eep, $100 a month...

You might just have to do that either now, or eventually, as the site is just going to continue to grow. Eep.

Can I donate money? *squee*
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain