z

Young Writers Society

The Young Writers Society Is Too Busy!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 14, 2007 1:05 am
Nate says...

The Young Writers Society is too busy; so busy in fact that the site is using six times over the maximum limit allowed by the hosting provider for a site on a shared hosting server. I think that's pretty cool.

Fortunately, instead of simply deleting the account (as GoDaddy would do), Lunarpages (our hosting provider) has moved the site temporarily to another server. However, I have 72 hours in which to either remedy the problem or upgrade to a virtual private server (VPS). I have chosen the latter as there is no remedying the problem.

Those that have been here for a while will know that YWS was once on a VPS server, but the costs were so high that it forced me to shut down the site for two months. However, things have changed since then and the ad revenue would now more than cover the extra costs.

So what does this mean to you? First, there is a chance of disruption, perhaps lasting as long as a day although I do not anticipate as such. I will post a big bold notice an hour before the upgrade to minimize any disruption while surfing the site.

But secondly, the upgrade will mean a faster YWS. Right now, YWS is straining the server's system resources as it shares this server with 99 other Web sites. A VPS will allow more room for YWS to grow, and will give the site much greater access to system resources.
Last edited by Nate on Thu May 24, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon May 14, 2007 1:23 am
Lindsaroo says...

Sounds Good Nate! :D Hope it all works out great!
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon May 14, 2007 2:07 am
Via says...

Sweet. That's cool. Thanks, Nate.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon May 14, 2007 2:48 am
Via says...

So it says there at 15 people on...but I haven't gotten a post update for awhile now...is this part of the same glitch or is my computer retarded?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon May 14, 2007 4:16 am
LowKey says...

WHERE'S FRED?

Did we lose Fred when we got switched over? :cry: :evil:
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 14, 2007 4:21 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

It's back!!! *woo*
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Mon May 14, 2007 6:22 am
whence says...

I never really got accustomed to what I suppose is now the 'old' YWS, but I'm sure I can still appreciate the new one :P

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon May 14, 2007 6:26 am
gyrfalcon says...

Yay! *claps*
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 14, 2007 8:18 pm
Emerson says...

Okay, so to clear things up since yesterday for me:

Last nights switch was to a temporary server, and now we are going to the permanent server?

Hopefully the PEM (Post Eating Monster) won't gobble anything in this transfer.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon May 14, 2007 8:23 pm
Firestarter says...

That's right, Clau.

Unfortunately, there is a chance the *PEM* might take some posts, transfers between servers are never perfect.

Better some than none, I've been on forums where they've had to completely start again. That's awful when it happens.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue May 15, 2007 1:37 pm
Kylan says...

Okay YWS is back and running. But neither my profile pic nor my avatar pic is showing up! Temporary? What's up?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue May 15, 2007 1:44 pm
Twit says...

I've noticed that a few people's avatars aren't showing up. Is that anything to do with it, or is it just the avatar? My avatar's still going fine.

Is the re-oomphing thingie what the big sign was up for yesterday? Ta for fixing it up, even though I wasn't having any problems. :razz: :)

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue May 15, 2007 8:16 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Same here. I've been trying to get some good avatars (AKA avatars that SOMEONE else made and put on the net) but all I get is this thing saying, "Debut mode" or something akin to that.
I'm willing to be patient, I'm just asking if this is site relevant or just my comp >>
ohmeohmy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 15, 2007 8:34 pm
Nate says...

Ugh... if you already see the message as being reported, then it's been reported. Please do not spam the board with another post about a bug that someone else has already brought up. Doing so serves absolutely no purpose.

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow