z

Young Writers Society

YWS Redesign Coming Very soon!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat May 05, 2007 3:48 am
Nate says...

If you're a reader of the YWS blog, then you already know I'm working on a total redesign of the default template. The new design will make it easier to navigate YWS, adds an entirely new section (resources), and makes it faster to reach certain areas of the site.

I anticipate finishing the new redesign sometime in the next few days (perhaps as early as Sunday). Thus, I highly urge everyone using the default template to start checking it out now so that you become acquainted with it and you can begin offering suggestions/critiques of it.

To check it out, go to My YWS ->> Preferences, then scroll down to "Templates" and change it to "Test Theme."

Most everything is actually done now. Just have to fill out & improve upon the Resources section more. If you want to add a link or an article in the Resources section, please feel free!

EDIT: I should add that all templates already available will still be available, as will the current default template. There will be almost no changes to these templates except for a link to the resources section.
Last edited by Nate on Mon May 07, 2007 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 05, 2007 3:56 am
Emerson says...

You should add www.fictionfactor.com to the resources! I love their articles...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 3:59 am
Nate says...

Claudette wrote:You should add www.fictionfactor.com to the resources! I love their articles...

Once I finish adding all the categories, you can actually add it yourself! In fact, I'm going to finish adding the categories right now...

2058 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 4:39 am
Emerson says...

O_O That's amazing! *hugs Nate* You always outdo yourself!

I've only a few questions: How will we know if we get a PM? Will the message button change?

There's not a members button at the top, either. I think I had another comment.... But I forget.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat May 05, 2007 9:23 am
Shadowsun says...

wow!

The new template is awesome!
I like all the new picture/links. But some of the resources are bit empty... But their still awesome! I think that it's easier to navigate the site like this.

~ Shadowsun :D
Last edited by Shadowsun on Sat May 05, 2007 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sat May 05, 2007 10:07 am
McMourning says...

Cool! Thanks, Nate!

EDIT: Um....I think there's a problem with the resources. When I click the icon next to Young Writers Market, it takes me back to the YWS Homepage.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sat May 05, 2007 1:50 pm
Charlie II says...

Wow, I've lost where everything is now! It looks awesome and the graphics are really nice and neat. Especially the chimp at the bottom of the screen :D . The only thing I would ask is how we know if we've got a new PM but Claudette asked that so I guess I'll hear anyway.

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

2058 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 pm
Emerson says...

I added some of my favorite sites, and a few of my articles to the resource section, so it isn't as empty.

Some things to consider on the switch over: the quote BBcode doesn't work there. And when you use quotes at all, when submitting the computer automatically puts a / which...makes no sense. But it does.

Still, I love that part of the site! It looks so cool and organized....

425 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 3:39 pm
Nate says...

Thanks all.

On PMs->> When you receive a new pm, an orange box will pop up underneath the header (this is in the same window, no new window appears).

On Writer's Market->> [s]That part I still haven't added. I plan to sometime today or tomorrow.[/s] It's added now!

Resources Section ->> Going to fill it up soon. What will really help is if members go through and start adding links to Online Resources and articles to the Knowledge Base.
Last edited by Nate on Sat May 05, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

425 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 3:41 pm
Nate says...

And many, MANY thanks goes to Claudette for already adding a bunch of links and articles! :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sat May 05, 2007 4:13 pm
McMourning says...

Oh. Thanks!
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat May 05, 2007 8:40 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I love it! The graphics are so cool... Much improved, you you really have outdone yourself!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

425 Reviews

Mon May 07, 2007 12:55 am
Nate says...

Just fixed the most common complaint with the new design; that is, it feels like you're on training wheels. By this, I mean you have to go through a page before getting to where you want to go.

Now there is a drop-down menu for "Forums," "Resources," and "Blogs." That makes it even easier to navigate, keeps the user-friendly interface, and pleases older members. Or at least, I hope so! Personally, I love it!

If I could get away with it, I'd even add sounds to when your mouse rolls over one of the buttons in the header. And it'd be a different sound each time so it'd be like you're playing a piano. Now that'd be sweet, but bloody annoying after a couple days.

2058 Reviews

Mon May 07, 2007 1:00 am
Emerson says...

Can we point out bugs yet...?

This ones kind of a biggy I suppose because it makes the whole concept kind of useless.

In resources, in the website section, if you click on one of the website links it just sends you to the same page ><

The sounds would be so awesome, if you could turn them off when you wanted...The drop down menus look good ;-)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon May 07, 2007 1:11 am
Meshugenah says...

Oh goodness! I love the drop-down menus! Mucho easier to navigate for lazy me. Two clicks = me using the sidebar menu.

(I don't think it worked on mom's Mac, though, but I'm not sure you had it up before she kicked me off).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss