z

Young Writers Society

Lag In The Chat Room

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 03, 2007 4:33 am
Nate says...

Several users have notified me over the past couple weeks of random instances of lag in the chat room. The lag is not being caused by Fred, which wouldn't make any sense anyway, as many users assume but is instead being caused by a severe security vulnerability. I'm working on fixing the vulnerability, but if I am not able to, I will have to shut down the chat room.
Last edited by Nate on Mon May 07, 2007 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 am
Jennafina says...

Good luck! :D Shut it down permanently, or just for a while?
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu May 03, 2007 10:10 am
Emerson says...

That's odd... Well I hope you get it fixed. And if you have to close it (assuming permanently for the sake of my comment) you might be able to find another chat client out there, I'm sure there are tons.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 am
Nate says...

Well, I pinpointed the issue, and it ain't pretty.

First of all, the security vulnerability was this: someone was uploading massive files into the directory of the Chat room. Each file was 20.1 MB big, and there were enough for 7 GB. Whenever the uploading began, the chat room blogged.

However, I have found the culprit and the culprit is... the chat room itself. It has something to do with the error handling; whenever it encounters an error, it goes absolutely crazy.

Anyways, now that I know what the problem is, I can finally go about fixing it.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun May 13, 2007 1:06 am
Emerson says...

the chat room blogged.

I didn't know that chat room did that? :-D

Hope you get it fixed soon! Thanks for being an awesome admin ;-)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sun May 13, 2007 1:09 am
Insomnia says...

Thanks for finding that Nate. It was starting to get really annoying. By the way, does that have anytihng to do with the lag we get on the actual site sometimes? I know nothing to do with computers lol.

425 Reviews

Sun May 13, 2007 1:22 am
Nate says...

LOL; I didn't mean "blogged", I meant "lagged." But... I'll keep it as the Chat Room was essentially acting like some out of control teenager writing just a bit too much in their online journal.

Insanity ->> I think the lag on the site has more to do with that YWS is on a shared server with about one hundred other sites. Once I renew the hosting account in September, I'll probably go ahead and opt for an upgrade to a dedicated server, or at least to a virtual server.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun May 13, 2007 4:07 am
LowKey says...

YAY! Thanks Nate, you rock! :D
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown