z

Young Writers Society

New Chat Room Policy

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat May 05, 2007 6:38 am
Alice says...

perhaps if we put RPG at the end of the title it would help prove that it has a point.
I just lost the game.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 05, 2007 1:41 pm
Emerson says...

RPG People: It's a good reason to have a chat. Calm down. Why don't you give Nate (or another Admin) some time to breath and stop defending it for a little. If they're going to answer, let them come around and do so. And if you want, when I'm in the chat (and there is more than one mod in the chat) you can make an RPG room and I'll go sit in there and watch you xD I'd assume that would be fine.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat May 05, 2007 5:58 pm
Ego says...

Besides--if you want to make a room...just ask a mod if they'll be present. Simple, no?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun May 06, 2007 1:20 am
Nutty says...

Thanks Clau! Much appreciated. And guys, she has a point. Calm down and let them think it over. In the meantime, we shall have to stick to the storybook.
Thanks for listening- we will await a decision with varying levels of patience :lol:
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

270 Reviews

Sun May 06, 2007 3:00 am
Alice says...

So if we have a mod in there it will be all good? If so bubble is a mod. We're just going to assume that that's all okay?
I just lost the game.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun May 06, 2007 12:19 pm
Firestarter says...

Unfortunately bubblewrapped is not a moderator, except the group moderator of YWS Book Club. This isn't the same thing.

So, no, that's not okay.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun May 06, 2007 12:35 pm
Sureal says...

But what about when there isn't a mod in the Lounge? Heck, the majority of times I've been in the lounge, there hasn't been a mod present.
I wrote the above just for you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 06, 2007 12:41 pm
Firestarter says...

We're not trying to moderate everything. We're simply trying to prevent some things that have happened in the past with the creation of user-made rooms. The Lounge is fine because a moderator can come in at any time and see what's going on, it's a public place so people are not very likely to be talking about the wrong things.

Anyway, this is the policy and people need to just accept it. There's a very big reason this has been decided. The Lounge won't be moderated because that's theoretically impossible, the idea of only having the Lounge open when a moderator was present was toyed with, but in the end we just left it. So we're trusting members to talk about the right sort of things for a young member base.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

270 Reviews

Sun May 06, 2007 6:11 pm
Alice says...

we're not trying to challenge the policy. We're just trying to make sure that our rpg rooms fit into the rooms with a porpose. That's all, I'd rather not make a big deal out of it, I'd just like to know if it would fit into the whole thing. That's all.
I just lost the game.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue May 08, 2007 4:35 am
Alteran says...

I think what we'd really like to know is what conditions must we meet in order to Roleplay in the Chat Room, if any at all.

If we recieved Moderator Permission or Admin Permission or do we actually need someone to sit in with us?

I was a bit rash in my earlier post and i dont want to say "down with policy" I just want to know what adjustments must be made to continue our game.

"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 08, 2007 1:01 pm
Nate says...

As long as there is a moderator present in the room, there are no problems. Junior moderators are okay as well. If for some reason you cannot have a moderator present, try PMming one of the admins to ask for permission with a list of the probable people involved. There are plenty of members here that I would trust without a moderator present; just please make sure you receive permission first.

You can also make a post in randomness asking for a moderator or admin to sit in the room. I know that if I'm on, I have no problems with just sitting in a room.

I do understand this is a major inconvenience to everyone involved, and I do apologize for that, but in the interests of keeping the chat room safe and free of vulgar discussion, this is a necessary policy.

However, I want to say thank you to all for following this policy despite objections. While I think most users do not like the policy, pretty much everyone has abided by it and that makes my job, Jack's job, Bek's job, and the mod squad's job so much easier. There have been many forums I've participated in where a policy such as this would have lead to a full-blown riot and it speaks to the quality of the membership at YWS that no riot occurred. So again, thank you :P

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Tue May 08, 2007 7:51 pm
Bella says...

Wait...so we can't have those rooms unless we have a mod? Why do we absolutely HAVE to have a mod anyway?
it prohibits social interaction among young writers, which is the primary function of the chat room

Making this room is actually promoting interaction, because we are a lot more involved in our RPGs than we are in the lounge.
except in cases where it is for the purpose of a usergroup

Wouldn't we (adam, author, res, Bubbles, Nutty, Mattster, etc.) be considered a usergroup? I'm not really sure, but I think so.[/quote][/code][/list][/list]
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 08, 2007 8:10 pm
Nate says...

writer_chick_13 ->> Too bad.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue May 08, 2007 8:11 pm
Emerson says...

Why do we absolutely HAVE to have a mod anyway?

This is because you may be saying, "We're making a room to role play" and you may title the room "Role playing room" but if there isn't a mod in there, you could be doing things that are inappropriate and should not be done on the YWS chat server. With a mod in there, you can be watched and keep everything under check.

I know it sounds silly, because you just want to role play (and we know that) but because of events in the past, this is now the new rule and even if it seems kind of foolish, just go along with it.

Like I said, if you want a separate room and I'm online (even if I'm not in the chat) PM me and I'll go sit in and watch. It's simply for the sake of making sure everything is following the rules and " keeping the chat room safe and free of vulgar discussion" like Nate said.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 08, 2007 8:20 pm
Firestarter says...

What Clau says is very sensible.

ALSO, like I've tried to let you know, with a tiny little bit of organisation, you guys can chat ANYWHERE on the web about anything you want. Just not here unmoderated, okay?

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana