z

Young Writers Society

New Chat Room Policy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:19 am
Nate says...

As of late, there have been numerous problems with users creating rooms. There are two problems with this. One, it prohibits social interaction among young writers, which is the primary function of the chat room. But more importantly, such rooms almost always go unmoderated. Even worse, a lot of these user created rooms are password protected, which is a huge problem.

From now on, user creation of rooms is strongly discouraged, except in cases where it is for the purpose of a usergroup. If any room is password protected or if the room does not serve any purpose, then the users in that room will be kicked out of the chat. Please note that if you are kicked out, you can log right back in.

This new policy is sure to be controversial. However, two rooms - The Lounge and Freds Pad - are quite enough. Again, the largest problem here is that the user created rooms are not moderated, and this policy will fix that.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:55 am
Wiggy says...

I agree, Nate. *applauds* Thanks for taking things into your own hands-it was getting a bit ridiculous, I must admit. Now everyone can chat together again!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:47 am
JC says...

Yeah, I was in the chat room earlier when Grif told us. It's really relieving to see that people are taking care of the problems and such, Thanks!!!
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:13 am
deleted6 says...

Nate... I agree with this sometimes, but in some cases like you want to talk about a story you're writing and you can't really do it easily on pm's. And when Elizabeth is on. She finds it hard getting on, and only really comes on it to talk to me. Anyway that's my thoughts.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:38 am
Ego says...

Sieg--rooms with a purpose are allowed, I'm sure, such as discussing a storybook, etc. Furthermore, personal chats should be kept in PM.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:19 am
Emerson says...

Yeah, if you are discussing a story, title the room as such. Rather than "room of not boring conversation" or something.

I think it was a wise choice, Nate, even if it will be controversial... it stops ostracism! ;-) (I like saying that word...)
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm
Nate says...

Once again, I am quite serious about this people. Unless the user created room serves a purpose, it will be closed.

Also, if there are only two people, then use PM. If you don't like the size of the PM window, then resize it! Just hold down the mouse button on the lower right hand corner of the PM window to make it bigger.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:01 pm
Alice says...

Nate, the whole purpose thing confuses me (not that hard actually) because sometimes they'll be a bunch of us (long list of names) who will go do something, like in random places, and the place title's don't seem to have a purpose so if we do that will we be kicked off? And what if there are like a thousand people in the lounge and the conversation is way to confusing to follow and you just want a simpler conversation with less people, you can't create a new room for that?

It is a good idea though, didn't seem like it when i found out about it. But that was only because a mod kicked me off while i was typing something else and didn't know they did it. When it wouldn't let me back on they sent me the link to this page so i could find out why. As evident i was a little bit perturbed. This will also prohibit certain people from doing very random titles that are extremely long so you can't see the end of the name list with all your PMs on it so you don't know when they sent you one.

Long enough post, done now.

EDIT: the places thing is kind of like a game, (just thought i'd add this in)
I just lost the game.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Thu May 03, 2007 10:19 pm
Nutty says...

yes, as another of the people who play this 'game', I would also like to know.
As alice said, there is a long list of people who like to 'roleplay'. and because this annoys others, who a) arn't interested
b) want to be able to have a normal conversation
or c) just don't want to hear about our adventures,
we make a new room, open to all who want to join in. As alice said, it is usually called something random, i.e 'the future', or 'YWS pensword'.
Is it possible to be able to keep doing this?
thanks
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu May 03, 2007 10:33 pm
Firestarter says...

No, it's not possible to do that unless a moderator is present in the room. Which is unlikely, so no.

If you think is unfair, I'm sorry. There are plenty of other ways for like-minded people to have IM conversations. MSN, AIM, Yahoo messenger, etc., other chat programmes, other chat rooms. It's easy enough.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu May 03, 2007 10:44 pm
Sureal says...

If any room is password protected or if the room does not serve any purpose, then the users in that room will be kicked out of the chat.

If the room serves a purpose (roleplaying), then doesn't it fit this definition? Just don't give it a random name or password-protect it.

I don't know about other people, but I dislike it when there are lots of people in one room. It makes it hard to follow what's going on. This appears to be a problem many people have.

You can't really do that much discussing in Fred's Pad, cos Fred has a habbit of replying to every single thing said. It's more of a fun thing (who doesn't enjoy confusing chat bots?).

So would it be against the new rules to create, like, a 'Lounge 2'? Cos I think that just with the Lounge, and discouraging other rooms being made, you're kindda defeating the entire point of the new roles, cos it makes social interaction harder.

As long as a room isn't pointless (ie. it serves an identifiable reason, which can be deduced from the name of the room), I fail to see why it should be prohibited. After all, the Lounge and Fred's Pad are quite often un-moderated also.
I wrote the above just for you.

270 Reviews

Fri May 04, 2007 11:42 pm
Alice says...

Sureal has a point, i mean if you would like "We" could give you a list of all the rooms we've used so far. Those rooms aren't pointless, (I've thought about this list) it helps us develop plots, and work with others, (sounds like I'm talking to my mom) and its not pointless and to the best of our abilities inappropriate. Most of "us" are curious about this, we'd like to keep it going. We never password protect them or anything like that. We should be able to keep this rpg thing going.
I just lost the game.

270 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 6:14 am
Alice says...

*to the best of our abilities not inappropriate.

(sorry i just caught that)
I just lost the game.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat May 05, 2007 6:28 am
Alteran says...

If we did have a moderator in the room with us, then could we have our roleplaying rooms.

I do understand the point behind the rule but as one of the adventurers I must say that our roleplaying has a point. I personally, am a much faster typer and have had some amazing ideas since playing.

Examples: A fanfic, Several 3D models includeing the Pensword, Highwind, Belias and Excalibur. Fighters, Shuttles, Spammian fighters, Spammian Carrier. And now I am in the production of a MMORPG(Massively Multiyplayer Online Role Playing Game) based on not only the adventures but the YWS itself.
Last edited by Alteran on Sat May 05, 2007 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

270 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 6:33 am
Alice says...

Which is true, we have inspired many plots since starting this. Or just plain ideas.
I just lost the game.

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14