z

Young Writers Society

YWS Mobile

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:25 pm
Nate says...

Now announcing the Young Writers Society on your mobile device! If you got a browser on your cell phone or pda or psp or ds, then you can easily access the Young Writers Society by pointing your browser to:

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com

Just finished testing it using a blackberry, and it works great. There are no graphics and everything is just the bare bones, meaning that the biggest page (aside from topics) is only 2.5 k.

However, there are some caveats:

1. It won't work on my Samsung phone, but then again, my samsung phone is going on seven years. Not sure why it won't work, but I'm trying to fix it.

2. If it won't work for you, let me know. In order to make it work, I have to put in individual phone manufacturers. Right now, I think it's good for 90% of people, but if it won't work for you, list your phone manufacturer here along with whatever error message you get.

3. The private messages thing does not work yet. I'm working on that, and I should have it done soon. The number one reason I wanted to do this was so I could reply to my PMs from anywhere, so it's definitely coming.

Refinements that are coming soon:

- Right now, if you log in on your phone, the database will mark that as your last visit. So once you log in from your computer, only the posts made since you visited on your phone will be in the "Since your last visit" link. Shouldn't be too hard to fix that though.

- One link for the "hottest" forums (i.e., the ten most popular).

- Improved navigation

So far, it's already working great on my blackberry, but if your phone was made more than three years ago, you may experience some issues.
Last edited by Nate on Thu May 03, 2007 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 pm
Swires says...

Works 100% fine here.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 am
Lindsaroo says...

Ok that's great and all, and got onto mobile from my PC (somehow) but is there a way to get it back to normal?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 pm
Cassandra says...

I have the same problem as Staring_at_Ceiling, I think. Right now I'm on my laptop, but I seem to be on the mobile version of the site? And there's no way for me to get to my user settings/"My YWS", so I'm not sure how to change it back, or how it happened in the first place.

161 Reviews

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:54 am
Cassandra says...

I don't mean to be a nag (really!), but this is really frustrating me. I'm on a regular computer, but somehow my settings have gotten changed or something, and whenever I log on I'm brought to the mobile version of the site. Is there a way to fix this? It's been this way for days, and I can't find any way to get to my settings from the mobile version and somehow change it back.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:47 am
Griffinkeeper says...

It seems that the MyYWS section didn't make it over.

Type this into your browser: profile.php?mode=preferences

It should redirect you to it.

You can change it from there.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

425 Reviews

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:46 am
Nate says...

Hopefully fixed the problem. If it's not fixed, use the link that Grif gave you.

All I did though was add a link "Not On A Mobile Device" to the front page. That'll take you to the My YWS screen, and from there you can go to preferences and change the template.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:58 am
Emerson says...

I tried it, for kicks (I'm not exactly sure if I have free internet on my phone, probably not) and got a "file too large" error.

I have a Samsung SGH-D407.

I really wish I had some portable internet device....like a crackberry. But I don't. oh well.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 am
Nate says...

It'll vary from mobile device to mobile device. On most cell phones, it probably won't work.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:11 am
Emerson says...

Well thats a bummer. Oh well. It's not like I'm ever far from the house anyway :-D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:25 pm
Cassandra says...

Thanks so much! It's so nice to have everything back to normal on YWS. *hugs site* :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 pm
Chandni says...

Wow, that's cool :) I like the fact that you could PM from your phone in the future ;)

But hey guess what?

I'm a phoneless person XD But still, I'm proud of YWS :D

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber