Young Writers Society

Birthday Week Official Contest

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:59 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Happy Birthday YWS!

October has come and gone, and the spooky vibes have gone away with it. It may only be November but we know that the pesky holiday season is right around the corner, along with the end of yet another year. Before any December holidays though, there is a bigger one going down this week on YWS. Do you know what it is? I'll give you a few lines to get your guesses in.
It's YWS' birthday! That means Big Brother will be turning 13 and will become a teenager. It's a terrifying thought, I know. We'll be having a big party with all the fixings including chat being open for another hurrah and events to celebrate all week long. Among them, is this contest you're reading about right now.

We are in the full swing of NaNo, and if you've been living under a rock since October, here's a translation. National Novel Writing Month aka NaNoWriMo aka NaNo, takes place during the month of November and the goal is to write a 50k word novel in that amount of time. There are many contenders in this great race with wonderful OCs (original characters).

Now we've got the NaNo challenge going on as well as the birthday celebrations, so this contest will be combining the two of them.
"How?"
A party.

Yes, a party.
What do you think of when I first say this word? Perhaps balloons, favors and cake. Normally bloodshed would not be associated, unless you've shown up to one of my family's Christmas parties by mistake. These events are universally known to bring people together and often the happenings at such a place cause drama and distance.

But that's not the sort of scene that you will be writing. Often with a NaNo novel, we have a big impact and shock in a character's life, that will most likely make their life miserable from here on out. I want you to think back to a time when your character was happy or at least feigning happiness. This might not seem too bad because everyone has to of had a happy moment in their life, otherwise so many wizards wouldn't be able to cast a Patronus charm.

The main confine of this challenge is that it must take place at a party, specifically a birthday party. All it has to be is one of your OCs (original characters), which is a character you have created. Doesn't have to been your main one or even one from your #NaNoWriMo2017 novel.

There are two options for the work that you will create: a short story or a poem.
Keep in mind if you're writing a short story, that this should just be a little branch off of the main plot and doesn't have to be entirely loyal to the plot line. It's a fun scene to just mess around with and gives you the opportunity to experiment with your character. If you're writing this as poetry, your focus might want to fall on the emotional side and getting the reader to realize what is going on. You can describe the event using cue words but a chunk of this will rely on the reader understanding the speaker's POV on whatever is happening.

No matter what section you are applying to, the rules are the same.
1. The age rating on a piece is a maximum of 12+ (about the equivalent of PG-13). This means you are limited with your swear words and with the fight scenes. Here's the link to the Official Censorship Guidelines.
2. All submissions must be in by Tuesday, November 14th.
3. You may only submit one entry, so be sure to re-read it thoroughly before you submit it.
4. All submissions must be sent via PM to @ladylizz and must not be posted publicly. Only after the contest is over may you publish your entry.
5. Bribing the judges is strictly forbidden... unless you give them candy. Then they might be inclined nope they still can't, sorry y'all. Rules is rules.
6. You've only got a single shot at this so choose wisely and have fun!

The Prizes:

1st Place: 5000 points and 3 reviews

2nd Place: 2500 points and 2 reviews

3rd Place: 1000 points and 1 review

Judges: Who will be the ones doling out those reviews.
LadyLizz
Iggy
BiscuitsLeGuin
Lumi

Participants
1. Steggy
2. TheSilverFox
3. ChieRynn
4. themagicalebonyfox
5. Elinor

So if you want to join up, just sign your username below.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:45 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

I'd like to join!
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:54 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

*walks in*

*adds signature so big it takes up half the page*

*walks off, laughing evilly*
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:01 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

SIGN ME UP. SHORT STORY.

Yesyesyes here we go.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

766 Reviews

75 Reviews

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

you're amazing can I just say that.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28

766 Reviews

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:12 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Yep. The more the merrier.

766 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:17 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

@Steggy
@ChieRynn
@TheSilverFox
@ThemagicalEbonyFox

2 days left until the contest closes.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm
alliyah says...

Can I tentatively also sign up - working on something for this.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

766 Reviews

75 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

@LadyLizz um er well you see I don't think I'll be able to finish this, so I think I'll have to drop out. I don't want to but I don't think I can get a story done.

766 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm
Brigadier says...

@ChieRynn

Or just submit however much you do have and take a stab in the dark. There aren't many contenders so you've got pretty good odds.

75 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

Maybe if I get something by then.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm
Mea says...

Dang, I actually have an idea that could work for this, but of course it only comes to me on the 14th...
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France