z

Young Writers Society

Know how to edit your computer's host file? You can help me

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:34 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

So, I just set up a staging version of WriterFeedPad on a new, more powerful server. It's 100% identical to WFP as you know it, but I'm wary of switching over to the new server before I thoroughly test everything. After all, it's running on a really complicated application that was last updated 4 years ago (Etherpad). Plus, all the non-Etherpad programs have been updated to the latest version, so there might be some compatibility conflicts.

Thus, I'd appreciate it if just a few people could help out with putting it through the paces. To access it though, you'll need to edit your computer's host file. If you have Chrome, you can also use this extension:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... edom?hl=en

Or Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... hostadmin/

You'll want to add a line that looks like this in the host file:
Code: Select all
66.175.211.221 writerfeedpad.com www.writerfeedpad.com nate.writerfeedpad.com

Of course, replace 'nate' with your WFP username.

Please note that while that is active, you won't be able to access the current WFP server until you remove it. Also, the database on the staging server will be completely removed before turning it into the production server. Thus, anything you do on the staging server will be deleted.

At this point, there's only one known issue, which is the exporting of documents doesn't work since I haven't yet set that up. But, everything else should work!

Everything should work!

Thanks in advance for helping!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:28 pm
Nate says...

Well, it looks like everything is set to go. Even managed to get SSL working! I'll probably do a quick migration pretty soon when no one is using WFP. After that, many of the downtime issues should greatly diminish if not go away entirely.

i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara