z

Young Writers Society

YWS Downtime May 5, 2016

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri May 06, 2016 12:33 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Somewhat humorously, YWS was also down on April 5 at about the same time it was down today, May 5. Will YWS be down also on June 5? Only time will tell...

Anyways, what happened is after fixing a security vulnerability with an image library on the server (ImageMagick), I quickly rebooted the server. Usually, this takes 15-30 seconds.

Evidently though, the hosting provider at some point very recently changed the label of the ethernet port for the server. What this meant is that the YWS server could not connect to the outside world. You can imagine my panic as I repeatedly tried to access the server but kept on receiving connection timeouts.

Fortunately, I still had console access through the hosting provider, and after spending a few hours troubleshooting a lot of issues, I finally managed to get the networking service to work.

So, things should be good to go now. There may still be a few issues here and there, but nothing serious (any issues would be e-mail related).

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri May 06, 2016 12:22 pm
Lorelie says...

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by issues e-mail related?
There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.
— Mary Kay Ash

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri May 06, 2016 9:31 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

@Lorelei ->> Just means that the YWS server was unable to send or receive email. But, it's all fixed now.

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight