z

Young Writers Society

It's a new chatbar

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:53 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Please enjoy the brand new chatbar! If you're not seeing it, you're either on mobile or you haven't yet done 5 reviews (only users who have completed 5+ reviews can see the chatbar).

The new version is not much different from the old version except in form. In online mode, it takes up only the far lower right hand corner of the screen, and it's styled like Google Hangouts for a more modern look.

Offline mode is a little different than before in that instead of the inconspicuous chat button, it now shows the same grey block that it does when in online mode. To go offline, click the gear in the lower right hand corner, and then click on 'Offline.'

Let me know what you think (good and bad)! The chatbar upgrade was unexpected as the upgrade to php7 on the server caused the old chatbar to unexpectedly break.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:49 am
Wolfi says...

Thanks, Nate! I really like it :)
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:02 am
steampowered says...

I personally find it less navigable, but I'm pleased to see some of the bugs that were present with the old chatbar have now been fixed. :D
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:11 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

As games aren't working, I've disabled that function for now. I tested it out real briefly with @Hattable, but it was generating no errors and I don't know the code well enough for the chatbar to dive into it.

Wasn't aware that chatrooms weren't working on the old chatbar, but now that they are, enjoy them!

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:17 pm
Pompadour says...

The chatbar's working wonderfully on mobile; it's much easier to use than the previous version and I haven't had any problems with it so far. ^^
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:21 pm
Steggy says...

I like the feature of going home and the arrow, which leads you back to the top. It comes in handy when you want to stalk view the people tab.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:33 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Is it possible to add back the option to close the chatbar entirely?
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:21 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

There is a way to completely hide the chatbar, but I'll have to build an option to do that. Shouldn't take very long though.

Everyone ->> The chatbar's online list is utterly broken, and I apologize for that. I have it open in two browsers, and I get entirely different online lists. When I look at the database, it's not even properly updating the list of who's offline.

I'm trying to sort it out, but since it's not properly updating the database, it's difficult. So, don't get used to it! I think I may just switch over to another chatbar solution called Arrowchat, which I've been eyeing for a long time anyways.

Everyone ->> Well, perhaps I have managed to get it work. The online list at least appears normal now. If anyone experiences any more issues with it, please let me know.

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:17 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

@Kyllorac ->> Added an option to completely remove the chatbar. Just set 'Chat Bar Visibility' to hidden under Settings ->> Board preferences ->> global settings:

screenshot.png
screenshot.png (34.36 KiB) Viewed 394 times

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:20 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

Ooh! I like this new option!
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

425 Reviews

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:10 pm
SkyeWalker says...

Just something I've noticed: Sometimes the new chatbar makes the *pop* sound when you get a new message, sometimes it doesn't. ^_^ Just thought I'd let you know, don't know if it's a glitch or anything.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice