z

Young Writers Society

Leaderboards Re-Design

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:51 am
View Likes
Nate says...

After nearly a decade of stasis, the leaderboards have finally received a re-design! I'd like to thank everyone who offered their input on it.They were very helpful in putting this together.

What's been changed

- The review rankings are by points instead of number of reviews.
- New design.
- Your name highlighted in blue. Shown at bottom of table on overview page if not in top 15.
- Review all time rankings are now based on the number of reviews you see on your profile.

The review rankings are by points instead of number of reviews
This has been in the back of my head for a while, and finally decided to just do something about it. I asked the community first before forging ahead, and after a vote that split 70-30 in favor of it, I made the necessary changes to sort the leaderboards by points instead of reviews.

@Rosendorn and some others suggested keeping the review counts next to the point counts, and I was able to incorporate that into the design. I think it looks rather nice and it should be very helpful in that it clearly shows how the points were earned (something that a few noted could be confusing).

Last but not least, the all-time rankings are still by your total review count. There's a few reasons why, but suffice to say that sorting it by points wouldn't make sense and isn't possible.

New design
It's a fresh design with a modern aesthetic! What does that mean? Nothing really -- those are just meaningless buzzwords.

But go check it out! It's not as compact as the old design was (something I actually liked), but it is a lot more attractive and easier to read.

Your name highlighted in blue. Shown at bottom of table on overview page if not in top 15
It's easier to see now where you are in the tables, and always seeing your rank even if you're not in the top 15 on the overview page should be rather helpful.

Review all time rankings are now based on the number of reviews you see on your profile
So, this was something that always led to some confusion. Previously, YWS counted up all your reviews every 12 hours, and then ranked by what it counted. There were some reasons for this, but many just found it confusing.

So now the all-time rankings are based on the review count you see on your profile.

The Before & After

Hope you enjoy it! The overall objective with the re-design is to encourage more reviewing, and hopefully we'll see that happen.

By the way, if you notice any bugs or have questions, just shout!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:20 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I love that the all time leaderboards are now the same as the number on your profile! ...Except for the fact it meant I dropped from #10 to #13, lol

At least I'm already back into the swing of reviewing so it won't take too long to get it back.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:44 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I lost my position ;-;

I'm on mobile, so it might now appear the same on a desktop but will the list (all time rankings) be numbered soon? Cause I can count to see where I'm at, but kinda don't want to... you feel me? its been a long day, sorry I'm lazy
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:20 pm
Nate says...

@Iggy ->> Which mobile and browser? The all-time rankings are currently numbered, but if you can tell me which browser you are using, then I can look deeper into the bug you're experiencing.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:22 pm
Iggy says...

iPhone 5C, Safari. :)
- Lewis Carroll

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:31 pm
Nate says...

@Iggy ->> Is it possible you could take a screenshot?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:50 pm
Iggy says...

Well that's embarrassing... It's working now. Last night, where the numbers were were ovals. Sorry for the confusion >.< but it works now!
- Lewis Carroll

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 pm
Nate says...

Probably just a temporary bug then -- I was messing around with it last night!

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:58 pm
SkyeWalker says...

They look great! Thanks a lot! I didn't realize I was posting so much o.o
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:57 pm
Carlito says...

I think it looks great! I was always so confused why the all time ranks never matched the numbers I saw on profiles. I dropped quite a bit, but now I'm just extra motivated to bring it back up!

Thanks Nate :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington