z

Young Writers Society

Changes You'd Like To See At YWS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:52 pm
Nate says...

September has been a very busy month for me, but October is looking like it'll be nice and easy. So that means I'm going to be spending some time making a few small changes here and there. None of it will be major, and most of them will probably be barely noticed.

So, in any case, what would you like changed or added? Please note that I am not considering any major additions to YWS. There are a couple long term projects I'm working on (YWS Educators, Knowledge Base), but I think that YWS is pretty much complete as is feature wise.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:03 pm
Wiggy says...

I'm still having trouble changing my username to the greeter's color. And I've already done that thing where you go in your profile and change it to "Greeters" instead of "Registered Users." It always reverts back to "registered users" for me though. Could you change it in some way for me? It's sooo frustrating...lol

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:13 pm
Emerson says...

On some other forums I've been to they have things that show you if the member is online or not, that goes along with their post info like screen name, gender, age etc. That's a nice feature. Otherwise, you can't see who is online and who isn't, unless you go to "My YWS" and look at the right panel. But the other sites I were on had VBulletin, and I think that's why they had a lot of certain features.

Like there was also a feature where if you put your mouse over the title of a thread (say, in the 'other fiction' section) you would see a small clip of the beginning of the thread, so you could read a bit of it before clicking on it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:33 pm
Cassandra says...

From the Comments/Suggestions thread:

Cassandra wrote:Is it possible to put something like "Last 100 Posts" on the site, like there was on TSR? I mean, I love the "View Posts Since Last Visit": I use it whenever I come on the site. But if you come onto the site and close the window by mistake (you have no idea how many times I do this), there's no way for you to see all those posts when you go back on. So yeah. I don't know if that's even possible on this site, and if not that's okay, but I was just wondering. :D

David Guinness wrote:Nate- if you accidentally close your browser or hit "back", and then come back to YWS, the Posts Since Last Visit cache is reset, so you can't look at a list of the earlier posts.

:D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:33 pm
Ares says...

It's been mentioned somewhere else but back at TSR we had a "View Last 100 Posts" option. It was pretty cool.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:37 pm
Emerson says...

Going along with the 'view last 100 posts' comment (I've never been to TSR) and adding another thought of my own, on the other forums I've been too (For example, Writingforums.com) They have a "new posts" Section, which is a lot like the 'posts since last visit" except its everything new, not just your last visit.

I think that's a lot like 'view last 100 posts' so its the same concept. I'm just seconding (Or thirding? seeing as its been mentioned twice already) that vote.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:45 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Can we bring back "You earned x points?" in the literary forums?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:09 pm
David Guinness says...

I...quadruple :wink: ... Claudette's/Cassandra's/My post suggestion. View 100 (or similar) Last Posts would be a very helpful feature.
David Guinness

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:13 pm
Snoink says...

Is the featured works ever going to show up again?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:57 pm
Cassandra says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:Can we bring back "You earned x points?" in the literary forums?

I second that. It's kinda annoying how you see how many points you lost in the randomness/word play/ lounge, but can't see how many you earned when you actually post somewhere you should. XD

Thanks a lot for starting this thread, Nate. It's good to have a webmaster who's so interested in making things on the site better...
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:03 am
Myth says...

Why can't we see Historical Fiction in users portfolios?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:32 am
Firestarter says...

Myth >> I already informed Nate about this, and he said he would sort something out very soon.

:)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:30 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Why do you need a 'view last 100 posts' thing? We already have a 'view all new posts' thing here, which is much better (it can show more than 100 posts, and only shows the posts that have been put up since your last visit here).

I use it all the time. Heck, I used it to find this topic ;).
I wrote the above just for you.

161 Reviews

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:10 pm
Cassandra says...

Sureal wrote:Why do you need a 'view last 100 posts' thing? We already have a 'view all new posts' thing here, which is much better (it can show more than 100 posts, and only shows the posts that have been put up since your last visit here).

I use it all the time. Heck, I used it to find this topic ;).

I love the feature too, but when you accidentally hit the back button or close the window, all those posts go bye-bye. And then when you go back to YWS, you can't look at all those pretty posts that were made since your absence. It's a very sad thing, really. :(
-Chuck Palahniuk

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 am
Snoink says...

Fortunately, we have this which is almost twice as good! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.
— W. Edwards Deming