z

Young Writers Society

Changes You'd Like To See At YWS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:04 pm
Nate says...

I'm going to start working on some of the requested changes tonight. So far, these are the ones that I'll be doing:

- View Last Posts: On the My YWS page, you'll be able to find all posts made over the past 24 hours.

- Historical Fiction in Portfolios: Easy fix.

- You earned x points: That'll be added

- Trouble changing colors: Not sure why it's happening, but I am looking into it. That's already stated in the greeters forum, wl5, and I'm sure you've read it.

Claudette also had two good ideas, but unfortunately, neither are possible. Before YWS officially came back, I added a button that showed if a user was online or not beside their post. However, it never worked right and so I got rid of it before YWS officially came back.

On the view the first 200 characters of a topic when you roll your mouse over the title, I like that as well, but it requires coding called ajax. PHPBB (the software YWS runs on) is kind of old now, so it's very hard to make it compatible with ajax, which is new. It can be done, but it requires a lot of time to do it. I've thought about doing it in the past, but it requires such a huge rewriting of the code, that I'm sure a lot of other things would stop working.

Anyways, thank you all for the ideas and keep them coming!

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:33 pm
Cassandra says...

Thanks so much for taking our ideas into consideration, Nate.

I love YWS,
Yes I do!
I love YWS,
How 'bout you?!

:D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:43 pm
Firestarter says...

Brilliant, Nate!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:15 pm
Nate says...

Historical Fiction in portfolios has been fixed, and the amount you earned per topic. I thought I had fixed the latter a few days ago, but didn't test it until today and discovered that my fix didn't work. But, it's all good now.

I'm working on the view last posts, but it's going to be a while. Also, I discovered what's wrong with changing colors, but haven't figured out the fix yet.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:00 pm
Emerson says...

Now that I'm back from my absence! (life is such a busy thing...) I see all the new changes, so nice! Thank you Nate :-D

Yeah, I can tell the coding is sort of 'old' and even updating would take forever, and irritate people because the site would be down. This place is good as it is IMO.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:14 pm
deleted says...

I want to see a new avatar for Nate.

The monkey is starting to kindaza freak me out.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

NO! The chimp stays. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:19 pm
Emerson says...

One more thing I noticed while out critiquing! I talked to Jack about this but I'm not sure if its a forum problem, or a computer problem.

When you are using the 'post reply' forum to submit a post, if you are past the limit so it scrolls, and you put in quotes or a bold using the buttons given, it jumps you to the top of the scroll bar. It's sort of frustrating when you're critiquing, ha ha. But I'm not sure what would be causing the problem.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:19 pm
deleted says...

but he has better dental work than I, and I am jealous.

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan