Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Two changes:
- Cost to post a new work is now 200, reduced from 350
- Automatic 25 point bonus for reviewing Green Room works

Cost post is now 200

Posting a new work hasn't been this low since early 2013! This is being done out of a belief that the 350 point cost was actually deterring people from reviewing. It could've been reduced to 250, but decided to go one step further because of the second change, which is...

Automatic 25 point bonus for reviewing Green Room works

In the past, you earned double points for every character past the initial 250 for a GR review. So, 250 characters netted you 25 points, just like it does normally. But 500 characters would net you 75 points (normally, it would be 50 points). This was true up to a maximum of 150 points, and it was increased further for GR works older than 3 days (175 max in that case).

I think this confused a lot of people, and confusion isn't a good thing when it comes to incentives. So from now on, it's an automatic 25 point bonus for reviewing GR works. That means that while the maximum is now 125, the minimum is 50 (up from 25).

Plus, even though the maximum is lower, so is the cost to post a new work.

Special Note

Going forward, the points may be tweaked further. YWS has been going through a bit of a reviewing dry spell for several months now, and it's hope that the tweaks listed above will help get us out of this dry spell, along with other measures like NaRevWriMo. If these tweaks prove insufficient, though, expect the possibility of bigger changes to come. Of course, any major change will be thoroughly discussed first with the community at large.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:29 am
Nate says...

Just discovered a bug that was resetting the cost to post a new work to 250, or 50 points more than it should've been.

Unfortunately, I can't ascertain when it showed up, but I'm going to guess it was all of September to date. So tomorrow sometime, I'll refund 50 points per work to everyone who posted a literary work in September.

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus