Young Writers Society

Announcing YWS: Cassini

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat May 16, 2015 5:55 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The Day the Earth Smiled - Mosaic of images taken by Cassini on July 19, 2013

The Young Writers Society has gone through a lot of updates over the years. When I started this site in 2004, it was just a simple phpBB forum; something that took me a couple hours one afternoon to set up. Since then though, it has grown quite a bit.

Today, YWS is a social network for young writers around the world to share their creative works online. It isn't even just YWS anymore either. There's also our blog, Writing Gooder, and WriterFeedPad, which is an online document editing platform. Undergirding all of this is a vibrant community and an exemplary volunteer force.

To reach this point, there has been a number of changes to the site, and none more extensive than YWS: Apollo, the current version of the site, that launched in late 2011. The name Apollo was chosen in reflection of the major updates to YWS, including a total rewrite of a lot of legacy code that had been contributing to an unstable platform prone to crashing.

Today, I am proud to announce that the Young Writers Society is now entering a new stage of development that will be spent refining upon YWS: Apollo. I am calling this new stage of development YWS: Cassini.

The fourth unmanned spacecraft sent to Saturn, Cassini's mission was to improve upon our understanding of the planet. Though seemingly small in scope, the mission is one of NASA's most successful. Just to note a few accomplishments, it includes the first landing of a spacecraft in the outer Solar System (the Huygens lander on the moon Titan), the first discovery of lakes outside Earth (methane lakes on Titan), the discovery of possible oceans (Enceladus), and a greater understanding of Saturn's ring system. More than any other mission, Cassini has changed our understanding of humanity's place in the solar system. The image (called, "The Day the Earth Smiled") at the top of this thread was taken by Cassini and shows not only several of Saturn's moons in one picture but also shows Earth, Venus, and Mars.

Continuing in that spirit, YWS: Cassini will not involve any dramatic changes to the site. Instead, it will be a series of updates meant to build upon YWS: Apollo. This is an update that is meant to emphasize the little things and improving upon your YWS experience.

What can you expect as YWS: Cassini moves forward? Here's a few of the things to look forward to:

- Improved clubs. Easier to add, edit, search, and discuss.
- Better publishing center. Edit your portfolio in one place, simplified submission system, and streamlining.
- Small additions. Staff picks on the front page, quotes across the bottom of the site.
- Possibility of a better blogging system (may switch to Wordpress for blogs, but this depends on a few technical factors such as single-sign-on and effective moderating).
- Better moderating tools. Easier to report spam, trolling, and works that require a higher rating.
- Updates to literary works. Add cover art, easier to move between chapters, download as ebook (with author's consent).
- Improved featured works. Email notification when your work is in the literary spotlight, and view previous featured works over any time period. See the most liked works of all time.
- And more!

From now until the end of May 2015, there will be some new update every day; usually quite minor, but sometimes a bit bigger. Implementing all the features listed above, though, will require at least a few months, and probably longer than that. As with the Cassini space mission, YWS: Cassini is a long-term update.

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Sat May 16, 2015 5:56 am
View Likes
Willard says...

Brilliant.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat May 16, 2015 5:59 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

We're spoiled. Srsly.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat May 16, 2015 6:27 am
View Likes
rainforest says...

We sure are @Iggy, we sure are.
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat May 16, 2015 9:04 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

download as ebook (with author's consent).

Not that I review more than twice a year, but this would be great for those times. Anyone with an e-ink device could read long works without hunching over the keyboard and straining their eyes at cruel liquid crystal.

By the way, when are you going to get a grant from the government? Shouldn't you be receiving a salary for promoting literacy? Why is Obama AWAL on all the important issues?

175 Reviews

Reviews: 175
Sat May 16, 2015 11:38 am
View Likes
Harker says...

Wow, this looks really cool! :D
John. Queer guy, writer, fan of stuff.

~ Some men are born in their bodies, others have to fight for it. ~

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat May 16, 2015 12:25 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Speaking of the download as an e-book thing. I hope that won't be available until it's a complete novel... Then again, author's permission could cover that. *wonders how that'll work*

This looks awesome, @Nate. Good luck!
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat May 16, 2015 1:49 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

So I wasn't going crazy when I saw the quotes at the bottom of the page...
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat May 16, 2015 6:14 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Can I make you cookies? Would they survive the trip?

You're great. <3 Thank you!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat May 16, 2015 6:35 pm
Amnesia says...

I was wondering about those quotes at the bottom of the page 0.0. This is amazing Nate <3
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Sat May 16, 2015 11:23 pm
View Likes
Blackwood says...

This is exciting. I am especially looking forward to the publishing centre upgrades.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 am
elysian says...

Super excited! Thanks Nate :)
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sun May 17, 2015 3:04 am
Pretzelstick says...

This are some cool new features! Can't wait to try them out. I especially like the WordPress blog and possibly ebook download. It just sounds great!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

This is exciting! :elephant:

Thank youuuu Nate!
100% autistic

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun May 17, 2015 4:35 am
View Likes
Poopsie says...

its like announcing a patch in a videogame, but with even MORE hype!

(~o3o)~ luv u 2 nate ~(o3o~)
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
— Albus Dumbledore