z

Young Writers Society

Young Writers Literary Journal 2015: Now Accepting!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:42 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Young Writers Literary Journal 2015

WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS THROUGH MARCH 31!
Click here for all submission info

Important Links
YWLJ Website
Guidelines
Submit your work
Get notified when the Journal is available

About
The Young Writers Society is proud to announce the fourth edition of the Young Writers Literary Journal, to be published in July 2015. The Journal is a collection of works by young writers ages 21 and below from around the world, and it is sold online via Lulu and Amazon.

What we accept...
We accept short stories up to 10,000 words in length and poetry of any length. While we have no formula for the content we accept, we will only publish material that is generally appropriate for ages 13+. When submitting, you may submit up to one short story and/or poem. However, while you can submit up to one of each item, you cannot submit more than one of each item. So you may choose to submit a short story and a poem. However, you cannot submit two poems.

In past journals, submissions were limited to unpublished works. This will not be the case with the 2015 journal -- you may submit any work whether it's been published before or not.

Rights transferred and compensation
If your work is accepted into the Journal, you will need to sign a contract transferring a non-exclusive right to YWS to publish your work in paper and digital form. All other rights, including ownership of the work, are retained by the author. Note that this contract will only extend to the print and digital form of the Young Writers Literary Journal Summer 2015 issue -- it does not extend to any other publications now or in the future.

Unfortunately, we lack the financial means to pay authors. However, if your work is accepted, you will receive a free copy of the Journal.

Tips
- Proofread! You'd be surprised at how many people don't do this simple step.
- Take your time. The submission process isn't over until March 31, and you won't hear back until April 2 at the earliest.
- Read the guidelines, and then read them again.
- Seriously. Read the guidelines.
- Did you proofread? Do it again.

More Questions?
First, please read through the Literary Journal website linked to at the top of this topic. If you still have questions after reading that, then please feel free to ask them here.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:12 pm
TheWorldIsMyLife says...

What would be the average length you'd receive for a story - I mean would it usually be closer to the 10000 words or shorter
"We can lick gravity but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming." ~ Wernher von Braun

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:27 pm
Rydia says...

They're usually shorter but as long as you're under 10,000 it's all fine and we won't be judging you on the length.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

23 Reviews

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 pm
View Likes
TheWorldIsMyLife says...

So would you except like 1000 or more - I don't want to get this wrong :3
"We can lick gravity but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming." ~ Wernher von Braun

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 pm
View Likes
Dracula says...

I don't think it matters. @TheWorldIsMyLife
If you can write a fantastic short story in 300 words, great. If you can write it in 3000 words, that's great too. I'm pretty sure they're judging the actual story, not its length.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:33 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@TheWorldIsMyLife Yeah, we seriously don't care.

If you write something interesting that's 9,999 words long (and holds my attention for those 9,999 words) I'm far more likely to accept it than something extremely boring I can't get past the first paragraph of. Focus on writing something good (and under 10k) than going for any sort of artificial length limit because that's what you feel you're "supposed" to do.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

23 Reviews

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 am
View Likes
TheWorldIsMyLife says...

Okay thanks :3

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 pm
rainforest says...

Hey when will we be notified if our poems/stories got accepted?
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 pm
Iggy says...

You will, @captainsaltwater.

Nate wrote:Rights transferred and compensation
If your work is accepted into the Journal, you will need to sign a contract transferring a non-exclusive right to YWS to publish your work in paper and digital form. All other rights, including ownership of the work, are retained by the author.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew