z

Young Writers Society

Young Writers Literary Journal 2015

Reviews: 3
Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 am
BrittleBird says...

I would love to submit a poem, but don't understand where exactly on the site I am supposed to put it...?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 am
Iggy says...

@BrittleBird,

How To Submit
To submit, you must be 21 years of age or younger as of January 1, 2015 (if you are 21 as of January 1 but turn 22 on, say, January 2, you would be able to submit). We will begin accepting submissions on February 1, 2015, and will continue to do so through March 31. Submissions will be accepted through http://www.youngwriterssociety.com, and if you would like to be notified as to when submissions open, please send an email to journal@youngwriterssociety.com. You do not need to be a member of YWS to submit something.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:39 pm
BrumalHunter says...

@Nate, are you still accepting editors, or have you already appointed enough?
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:49 pm
Nate says...

@AstralHunter ->> Still accepting! Only for about another week though. If you've sent an application already, I'm going to go through and review all of them tonight so you'll have a response from me by tomorrow.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Oh, all right. Thanks for the reply! ^_^
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:51 am
Ventomology says...

Um.. is it all right if there is a tiny bit of superscript in the submission? (I'm thinking like five or six characters total.)
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 pm
View Likes
Sherri says...

Hey!
I really want to submit something, but out of respect, I tend to ask my mom before I do anything like this. She seems to think that once I submit something, the journal will take credit for it. Her exact words when giving me an example were: "Take a look at my cup of coffee; it's your writing. If I give you the coffee and say you can have it, then you're going to take it and drink it. It will be yours, because I gave it to you; you can drink it and everything. That is exactly what this journal sounds like it will be doing."
Basically, she thinks that the journal will take ownership and credit for the writing, and will highly disapprove of me submitting anything until I can show her otherwise. With that in mind, can anyone clear this up for me?
Some basic questions would be if your name was included with your work, is credit given to the authors, how much ownership is given to YWS/the journal when you submit a work, do I still have the general copyright (I'm actually still figuring out how that works, so pardon me if that's the incorrect way of putting it), and all of that stuff.
I'd really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me! I could care less about being paid; the prospect of being published is very exciting, and I'd love to be able to. :)
Thanks guys!!!!! :D
* Hey, just in case this pit isn't actually bottomless, do you think maybe you could unstrap one of those long-fall boots of yours and shove me into it? Just remember to land on one foot... *
I love GLaDOS...

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:58 pm
Nate says...

@Sherri, this is noted in the first post:

Rights transferred and compensation
If your work is accepted into the Journal, you will need to sign a contract transferring a non-exclusive right to YWS to publish your work in paper and digital form. All other rights, including ownership of the work, are retained by the author.

As you retain ownership of the work, you retain the copyright.

113 Reviews

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 am
Sherri says...

Thanks Nate! :D I saw that, but my mom was sure I didn't understand what it said. The last question I really needed answered was if names were included with the work that was published? Or was there some way to identify who the writer was? Sorry for the twenty questions! XD My mom is really insistent on me finding the details.
* Hey, just in case this pit isn't actually bottomless, do you think maybe you could unstrap one of those long-fall boots of yours and shove me into it? Just remember to land on one foot... *
I love GLaDOS...

425 Reviews

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 am
Nate says...

No problem @Sherri. In past editions of the Journal, we've always identified authors as First Name and Last Initial. So for me, it'd list my name as Nate C.

In this edition of the Journal, authors will have the choice of how their name is displayed. You can either go with first name last initial or go with full name.

113 Reviews

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:13 pm
View Likes
Sherri says...

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions, Nate! :D
I love GLaDOS...

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:23 pm
Demeter says...

Good luck @Sherri and everyone else who is going to submit! :D I bet it will be very difficult to choose between all the awesome entries!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 pm
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

How many works will be picked?
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:50 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

@TinyJarStoredDreams - there is no definite number of works to be chosen, i.e. no "limit" or "quota" to be filled. Once all the editors have reviewed all the works (and basically said either yes or no for whether they'd like a certain work to appear in the journal), the ones with the most votes will be picked. For reference, a previous journal (from 2011) had about 30 literary works in :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:56 pm
Cole says...

A 13+ rating isn't very clear. Are there any specific content restrictions (i.e. language, sex, violence, etc.)?

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk