Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Young Writers Literary Journal 2015

WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!
Click here for all submission info

Submissions begin on February 1, 2015

About
The Young Writers Society is proud to announce the fourth edition of the Young Writers Literary Journal, to be published in July 2015. The Journal is a collection of works by young writers ages 21 and below from around the world, and it is sold online via Lulu and Amazon.

We need help!
The Young Writers Literary Journal requires the help of several editors. Editors review submissions to decide which should appear in the Journal. It is a difficult and largely thankless job, and you will need to be able to read over 200 submissions in a period of just a few weeks in April.

I don't mean to discourage people about helping, but I do want to make sure you know what you're getting into! It does go well on college applications, and it's something that's good to mention on job résumés as well. Editors can also submit an article of their choosing that will be automatically accepted into the Journal. Editors may also choose to submit a short story and / or poem, though this must go through the normal submission process.

If you have been a member of YWS for at least six months, are at least 15 years of age, and have both the time necessary and the required ability to withstand the drudgery of so many submissions, and are still interested in being an editor, please send an email to journal@youngwriterssociety.com.

Cover art

In addition to editors, we also need someone who can put together an awesome cover for the Journal. If you are interested, please send an email to journal@youngwriterssociety.com along with examples of your past work.

How To Submit
To submit, you must be 21 years of age or younger as of January 1, 2015 (if you are 21 as of January 1 but turn 22 on, say, January 2, you would be able to submit). We will begin accepting submissions on February 1, 2015, and will continue to do so through March 31. Submissions will be accepted through http://www.youngwriterssociety.com, and if you would like to be notified as to when submissions open, please send an email to journal@youngwriterssociety.com. You do not need to be a member of YWS to submit something.

What we accept...
We accept poetry and short stories up to 10,000 words in length. While we have no formula for the content we accept, we will only publish material that is generally appropriate for ages 13+. When submitting, you may submit up to one short story and/or poem. However, while you can submit up to one of each item, you cannot submit more than one of each item. So you may choose to submit a short story and a poem. However, you cannot submit two poems.

In past journals, submissions were limited to unpublished works. This will not be the case with the 2015 journal -- you may submit any work whether it's been published before or not.

Rights transferred and compensation
If your work is accepted into the Journal, you will need to sign a contract transferring a non-exclusive right to YWS to publish your work in paper and digital form. All other rights, including ownership of the work, are retained by the author.

Unfortunately, we lack the financial means to pay authors. However, if your work is accepted, you will receive a free copy of the Journal.

More Questions?
If you have a question, leave a comment!

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:54 pm
Mea says...

When you say "transferring a non-exclusive right to YWS to publish your work in paper and digital form," does that mean that only YWS can publish it, or does "non-exclusive" mean it can still be published in other places?
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:23 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

@Meandbooks - I believe it means that it can still be published elsewhere, at least I remember it being the case with previous journals! But @Nate had better confirm this :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:44 pm
Nate says...

Yep, @Demeter is right. Non-exclusive means that it can appear anywhere else. You're just allowing YWS to also publish it in print & digital (e-book) form.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:34 pm
Mea says...

Got it, thanks! :D
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:44 pm
Poseidon says...

Can i be an editor
The Minecraft Freak!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:55 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Nate wrote:If you have been a member of YWS for at least six months, are at least 15 years of age, and have both the time necessary and the required ability to withstand the drudgery of so many submissions, and are still interested in being an editor, please send an email to journal@youngwriterssociety.com.

@Poseidon, please read this quote from the thread!

I am super interested in becoming an editor! *scurries off to email*
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:58 pm
deleted5 says...

Poseidon wrote:Can i be an editor

You have to be at least 15.
EDIT: Was I just imagining things or was @Iggy's post not there a few seconds ago...
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

15 Reviews

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:00 am
Poseidon says...

Can they make an exception. I would really like to.
The Minecraft Freak!

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:54 am
PeanutPhoebe says...

Definitely interested in being an editor, but I need a bit more info, and I'm not sure if I'll have that much time in April... :/
Keep Writing!

PeanutPhoebe

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:19 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

@Poseidon - it's fairer if the rules are the same for everyone, but why don't you submit something in the journal instead? :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:33 am
Lava says...

Hey @Nate, do you have an idea as to when you'd like to close in applications for editor? I need to finalize my classes for this sem (by Feb 2nd) and based on that, I would like to apply.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:01 pm
TiffanyToy says...

I would like to participate but I am wondering, What are the requirements for one of my poems to get into the literary journal? Also, IF my poem does get in, how will the literary journal be sent to me? Also, does anyone have any ideas as to which of my poems I should enter? Can I enter one that I have already posted on here? Also, where do we submit something we have written?
Last edited by TiffanyToy on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:25 pm
Kanome says...

I am participating c:
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

15 Reviews

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:14 pm
View Likes
Poseidon says...

Awwwwwwwww man ): Well ill try to think of something to submit. Any ideas?
P.S. i like fantasy
The Minecraft Freak!

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina