Young Writers Society

Young Writers Literary Journal 2015

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:33 pm
View Likes
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

I accept this challenge
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:53 pm
Rook says...

Do you know which few weeks in April that the editors will do their thing? I have spring break in April and would be very unavailable during that time.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:02 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

The overall aim is to have all submissions reviewed by April 19, and then choose the ones that will appear in the Journal by April 26.

In any case, editors will be able to review submissions as they come in. The extra few weeks is added on at the end mostly to give editors breathing room and also because there's usually a sudden flood of works in the last couple days.

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

we will only publish material that is generally appropriate for ages 13+

-_-
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:33 pm
View Likes
Lefty says...

Hi! I emailed about cover design. Two emails actually. :/ Sorry about that!

I hope to be able to submit a short story but I don't currently have anything in the works so we shall see. This is an awesome idea, btw!
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am
rainforest says...

Ok so, how to the people/editors know what story or poem you want them to approve?
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:21 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

unknown391625 wrote:Ok so, how to the people/editors know what story or poem you want them to approve?

@unknown391625 You have to submit which pieces you want us to consider to the journal through a special form. More information on how to submit will be available February 1st!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:43 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I have a couple questions, Nate!

1. For editors, you say we can submit an article of our choosing. You mean, one written by us or one written by, say, someone off the internet? Or either or?
2. For submitting, if your poem/short is chosen, will it include your real name, YWS username, and/or both? And will there be any additional information about the author, or just the name?
3. For past editions, can those still be purchased? If so, is there a link? If not, do you have any sort of screenshot/photographs we can see?

:)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I can actually answer #2 and #3:

#2- In all editions, the stories/poems are first name and last initial. Your username is not connected at all.

#3- First three results when you look up "young writers literary journal" on amazon are YWS. See here.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:20 am
Corncob says...

@Nate Do the poems/short stories have to be in any specific genre? Are there any preferred genres, and if so, what are they? And what sort of quality are you looking for in works that would mean they would make it into the Journal?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:51 pm
SkyeWalker says...

I'm going to do this. ^.^
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:18 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Besides @Iggy's questions, I have a few more:

1. When @Nate said "you will receive a free copy of the journal" that obviously means you have to include your address, but will you have to pay for the delivery as well?
2. How will the contract be signed? I assume it will be sent by email and will have to be printed, scanned in and then emailed back, but I have to ask to be sure.
3. How many people will be in contact with the personal details?

I would like to submit both a short story and be an editor, but I must ask my parents' permission first, naturally. However, I have a few more questions concerning that:

1. How many editors will be chosen?
2. Will the editors have to qualify in some way or go through a filtering process?
3. If you are an editor and you submit a work, there will be ensured that another editor gets that work, right?
4. The article an editor may submit - may it be about any topic, or must it concern literature or language specifically, for example?

That is all the questions I have for now. I would absolutely want to participate, but I want as much information as possible before I ask my parents.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:58 pm
Nate says...

A lot more information will be available as we get closer to the start of the submission process. This is more of a help wanted and heads up announcement than anything else. But to answer some of the questions so far:

1. For editors, you say we can submit an article of our choosing. You mean, one written by us or one written by, say, someone off the internet? Or either or?

It has to be by you.

1. When @Nate said "you will receive a free copy of the journal" that obviously means you have to include your address, but will you have to pay for the delivery as well?
2. How will the contract be signed? I assume it will be sent by email and will have to be printed, scanned in and then emailed back, but I have to ask to be sure.
3. How many people will be in contact with the personal details?

1. No, you do not pay for delivery.
2. For all, it is sent by email. For those under 18, it needs to be physically signed by a parent, so it'll need to be printed out and either mailed back or scanned back. For those over 18, electronic signature suffices.
3. Only me.

1. How many editors will be chosen?
2. Will the editors have to qualify in some way or go through a filtering process?
3. If you are an editor and you submit a work, there will be ensured that another editor gets that work, right?
4. The article an editor may submit - may it be about any topic, or must it concern literature or language specifically, for example?

1 & 2. Depends on how many apply. Editors are chosen based on their contributions to YWS.
3. Editors do not review their own work.
4. It's a literary magazine, so the article would have to be literary in some fashion too.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:14 am
BrumalHunter says...

Thanks, @Nate!
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:42 am
View Likes
ongoeslife says...

TinyJarStoredDreams wrote:I accept this challenge

@TinyJarStoredDreams Reading that and seeing your avatar at the same time made me giggle. XD

Anyway, I'm in on this! I'd love to be an editor, but at the moment, it looks like it won't work out. =( Maybe next time!

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe