z

Young Writers Society

If you see random links in a lit work...

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:52 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Don't panic! Your computer is not infected with any viruses or anything.

What's happened is that the person who posted the work has a program called i.txtsrving.info on their computer that's sticking those links into all of their documents. i.txtsrving.info is malware, so if you see that someone has those links in their works, you should let one of the staff know, and we'll take care of things.

You can find out more information about i.txtsrving.info here.

If you're still worried that your computer has been infected, there are plenty of great tools for removing all sorts of nasty viruses, malware, adware, and spyware, and some of the best ones are free:

So fear not! Armed with these tools, sally forth and slay some computer viruses!
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:09 am
Holysocks says...

I've been wondering about that for a whole year now!!! I didn't think it was my computers fault though, I thought maybe people were putting the links in themselves... >.>
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 am
Nate says...

Holysocks wrote:I've been wondering about that for a whole year now!!! I didn't think it was my computers fault though, I thought maybe people were putting the links in themselves... >.>

Hey @Holysocks, unless you're seeing the links in works you posted, then your computer isn't causing the issue and you have nothing to worry about.

What's essentially happening is that some members have an infected computer. For these members, when they upload a document to YWS or any site, a virus is automatically inserting advertising links into their document.

However, it's important to note that the urls for the links aren't uploaded, so clicking them is harmless. But when you see them, let the author know that they should run a malware scan.

I hope that makes sense! To reiterate, as long as you're not seeing the links in works that you uploaded, you have nothing to worry about (though everyone should run a malware scan about once a week anyways!).

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:03 pm
Holysocks says...

@Nate there hasn't been any in my works, so we're good. :-D Thanks!
100% autistic

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity