z

Young Writers Society

Site Will Be Briefly Down Late On September 12

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:42 pm
Nate says...

No idea why some of the errors happened, but a lot of them are fixed now. Here's a list:

- Weird error lines about bbcode.tpl on the top of YWS True Blue and YWS Dark themes. This is fixed now.

- Portfolio icon not showing. This is fixed as well.

- Chat not working. Fixed.

If you don't see it on the list, let me know here or via PM. Please don't make a thread about it as I may never see it (it's happened a few times in the past).

If you read nothing else, read this:

The last error are the problems with the apostrophes and quotes. Not sure why it happened, but I'm just going to do a simple find and replace to fix it. However, that means taking the site down for ten minutes while I do the fixes.

So I plan on taking the site down at 10:30 pm EDT on Tuesday, September 12.

Everything past this point is just filler:

The fix shouldn't take long since I'm going to do it all before even taking the site down. Then I'm just uploading it all again, which only takes a few minutes (during which the site has to be down). By 10:40 EDT, everything should be running again just fine.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:02 pm
Wiggy says...

All righty! That works. :D Thanks so much for doing that Nate!

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 pm
backgroundbob says...

Effort seriously appreciated.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:02 pm
Galatea says...

Thanks, monkey man!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

425 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:42 pm
Nate says...

Not at a problem :P

However, I am only going to do this for posts. Any problems with signatures or profiles can be fixed easily by individual members. It wouldn't require much extra time on my part to do it, but by doing so, I'd overwrite any changes someone made to their signature or profile since the board switched servers. That could end up being very annoying for some people.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:08 pm
Areida says...

Thanks, Nate! I can see the profile icons again. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 am
Teeeeo. says...

Ooh, goody. I noticed that the apostrophe's and stuff were screwed up, like on other sites (which most webmasters are too lazt to fix >.<) and it just gets annoying and hard to read some things with the screw-ups on every other sentence. And I might be aslepp during the downtime anyways, depending what time that is CST.

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:02 am
Nate says...

Ugh, the find and replace idea didn't work. Fortunately, I have another idea, but it's late so I'm going to hold off on it until tomorrow. That way I'll be able to do it at work where I have a much faster internet connection.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:15 pm
Wiggy says...

Thanks man!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:07 pm
Nate says...

Ugh, nothing I do works.

The find and replace should work, but the files are so big that whenever I try to do it, my computer just crashes. I'll try it again later though by splitting the posts database into 20 files rather than 5. My computer should be able to handle that.

Today I tried exporting the database in one format. Doing this did work; that is when it was exported, everything looked fine. But it wouldn't let me import it again as there were errors in it.

So in any case, I'm still working on it. I hate to say this, but expect the board to be up and down sporadically. I'm trying to limit it to times when people aren't on much, but until I figure out how to fix the problem, the board may be down for two mintues, then back up for five mintues, then back down for a minute, and so on and so forth. It sucks, I know, but please keep in mind you're not the one going senseless over all of it :)

Who knew Kansas City had its own branch of the Yakuza?
— Jason Sudeikis