z

Young Writers Society

YWS: Now with TapaTalk! (almost, but not quite, a YWS app)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

The Young Writers Society forums can now be accessed via an app on your Android or iPhone! This includes the forums, storybooks, and private messages. It does not include clubs, blogs, or literary works.

To start, download TapaTalk from the app store or from Google Play:

Android App

iPhone App

Once starting TapaTalk, you'll be asked to create an account. You can sign in with Facebook, Google+, or make a new one.

After you create your account, you'll be asked to add your first forum. When there, type in young writers society:
Screenshot_2014-05-28-16-28-06.png

You'll have to go through a couple more prompts on TapaTalk after that, but soon afterwards you'll be able to access YWS via an app on your phone! Once there, just open the left-hand side menu to login. For me, since I signed in with Google+ and I use my gmail account for YWS, I only had to click "sign in."

A couple screenshots:
Screenshot_2014-05-28-16-29-02.png

Screenshot_2014-05-28-16-29-47.png

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Ohhhhhh, so that's why I was prompted to add TapaTalk!

*goes to try it out*
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Oops, sorry about that! I went ahead and removed the prompt -- I always find those really annoying.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

It's pretty cool, a little confusing when you're used to the site. I think I could get used to it!

(And I miss the YWS blue D: )
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

As the resident "Oh hey new feature, I'll tell you how it works for me!" person, I quite like this. I'm here on iPad now, yet to try out from phone. It'll most certainly need some getting used to, mostly to the fact I can't see other replies while writing my own! I also miss the blue, haha.

So far I can see quite a few good things, though;

It's really cool that there's a possibility to save drafts of messages, so even if I go "Cancel" and then return to replying, I'll be able to do just continue where I left off.

Clicking on someone's message, it allows me to quote it, edit, report, moderate (this is also offered on the three dots in upper right corner to apply to the whole topic.. hopefully I checked, this option only does appear to mods), see in web version (which opens within the app, but functions just as desktop YWS does) and multi quote (might be my personal favourite, it'd come in handy so many times).

(random another edit to see if it changes the style of edited parts in the middle of the text - in case you can't see it on desktop, it makes the edited text at the bottom of the post smaller and gray, same as the "Sent from my iPad" sig).

Clicking and holding someone's message opens it in full screen and bigger letters, which I personally don't need but I imagine can come in handy as well. If I do this with a post that has BBCode in it, it shows it full screen with the code, not actual images (or whatever the code is about).
Oh, clicking on a pic opens THAT in full screen, and offers to save it, e-mail it, add to reading list and whatnot.

The BBCode option only offers [url] and [img] codes, so if one doesn't know how to write the codes and tends to use the automatic "press a button and I'll do it for you" coding on YWS, they might have some more learning to do =p

I'll try it on phone too and see about some other things I'm curious about and then ramble again :D

Edit - oh cool, editing works. The "Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk" is amusing.

Another edit :3 - Clicking on my name, I can see all my posts, which is also cool. And even add a photo my profile, and I'm not sure if that'd affect my appearance on the site or if it would stay only in the app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

It doesn't log me out when I go to flipboard! That was one of the apps that wAs causing me issues before. It doesn't seem to mark posts that are read once I've read them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu May 29, 2014 10:28 am
Dutiful says...

Cool xD I like this a lot!

Sent from my Micromax A74 using Tapatalk
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm
Lava says...

If what @niteowl says works, I'm switching to it!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Fri May 30, 2014 8:25 am
View Likes
DukeofWonderland says...

Wohoo! Whatever the pros and cons, wohoo for getting something like this done ^_^
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri May 30, 2014 9:22 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Does this work? I hope so.

~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat May 31, 2014 3:45 am
Dutiful says...

I just realized that if someone tags you in the forums, you get notified immediately! And you can send and receive private messages too!

You can also view what the person is doing at the moment as well xD

Sent from my Micromax A74 using Tapatalk
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:26 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

This is a test. Don't mind me. :)

Niteowl was here. Gift bombing and eating heads since 2004.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:52 am
Alpha says...

It took me a while to realize that I had to log in again to reply to anything, heh. Oh and people who are online have a green dot next to them o:
This is great.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:52 am
ScarlettFire says...

Why, hello. *sneaks about*

"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:27 am
eldEr says...

Whaaat, no BB? D:

This is most excellent, though.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb